where to find 93 cobra tail lights

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
Ok I got hit from behind a while ago and the place working on my car can not find anyone that has these lenses. They have some ford OE LX lenses on their right now and if I cant find any thats what I will be stuck with. Does anyone know where I can find them? I was thinking they came stock on SVO mustangs but dont know if I can get them that way. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I tried using the search function, but it says it is disabled. Will I need all new light assembly or can I just take the LX lenses off and put the cobra lights in their place? Thanks, Zac B.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Latemodel Restoration Supply has them right now. But.... they are pinstriped not painted like the originals. They are Ford lenses with the SVO E5 part number on the box but are pin striped instead of painted. They look exactly the same until you get right up on them.

There are always a pair on E-bay but plan to pay big bux for o.e. take off parts.

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
Hey thank you for responding. I usually buy alot of parts from them I dont know why I didnt think to try them. I just checked their online catalog and they do have them. I will be ordering them tomorrow. I did see some on ebay but they are not pin stripped. I really do appreciated it. Thanks.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
To clarify on the pinstripes - If they are painted on, then that is the original style on the original lenses. If they are a tape type pinstripe, then they are probably 86GT lenses made to look like the Cobras. I believe the SVO lenses looked identical to the cobra lenses, except where the middle pinstripe had a gap in it on the side for a reflector, I believe.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure Goodson will correct me...
:D

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Richard, before the 40th mustang show I thought exactly as you have stated. But When I was at the booth for CJ's Pony Parts there was a set with an open box. They were the correct part number but the stripes were not painted. They were charcoal pin stripes. I went to another booth that had them and they were the same way. PPI (mustangparts.com) probably still has some of the original run of lenses left. I got real confused when I was at the 40th show on these lenses being in OE boxes with OE part numbers and they were pin striped. I asked about it at one of the booths and one guy said that that is a difference in the original run and the ones being produced now. I dunno. I just wanted someone to be aware that the pinstriped ones are out there and that they are a possibility when you order them. PPI is great about OEM parts. I'd check there first. Jim is a great source for those parts. I bought a 93 cobra grille from his brother in California. It is an OE piece with the part number and everything.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Excellent point, Bob! I did not know that they were being produced again, (evidently by Ford?). Not unusual in the restoration world for a current run of an old part to be slightly different than the original (a good example is the Cobra floor mats - PPI has them, and they were some of the last mats produced, and they are slightly different than the original ones, even though they have the same part numbers). It all boils down to cost and feasibility of producing the part, and for whatever reason, it was prob. decided to do pinstripes instead of the paint.

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
Hey thanks for the mustangsparts website. I cancelled my order from latemodel restoration supply and ordered through them. I would have been waiting up to 4 weeks and they were actually more expensive about $20. Thanks, Zac B.

buddha93

Established Member
I've got a set of the original lenses in the factory packaging....even has new sealer for the lenses. I also bought a set of the pin-striped ones. They came in boxes with the same part number, but it makes mention of "Original Ford Reproduction" parts on the outside.

Take that for what its worth, but I believe the latest batch of lenses are nothing more than copies with Fords persmission to reproduce them.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Originally posted by buddha93
Take that for what its worth, but I believe the latest batch of lenses are nothing more than copies with Fords persmission to reproduce them.

I totally agree. It bothers me that they are using OE style packaging and are selling them as OEM pieces. They are not. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread