Where to jack up rear of car?

Voice of Reason

Established Member
So I've had my car for one week now so it's time for my mods :) I've ordered Steeda's CAI and cat back and it's supposed to be here today so I'm going to do the install tonight. At the same time I'm just about the pass 500 miles so I'm going to change the oil. To get the front of the car up I have rhine ramps I'm going to use, but where is the best place to jack up the rear of the car and where should I put the jack stands once it's up? I haven't had a chance to look under the back end yet so maybe the places are obvious, but I thought I would ask here before I get home tonight wanting to do some installing fun and can't find the best place to lift it. Thanks!

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
for the front I lift in the middle on the K member. for the back I lift on the suspension, where the control arm bolts (torwards the middle of the car right inside the bend for the exhuast).

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
I try not to use a jack on the car. For my cat back install, I backed up onto the ramps. If you must use a jack, I would look for the part of the suspension that the springs rest in and jack under there.

edit...

Here's the ramps I have. They are too heavy to slide around.

Link to MustangWorld Ramps

Last edited:

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I use rhine ramps also. Easy to back the car on the ramps more clearance but driving the car up on the ramps is a problem. Sometime my ramps slip. I would hate to do damage to the front bumper in any way since there is like a 1/4 inch clearance. I won't use a jack.

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Ok, Maybe I'll try backing the car onto the ramps and jack the fron't of the car up then. That way I can still set the parking brake and it will hold the car. If I drive up onto the ramps there really isn't a way to secure it after I jack the rear up.

Oh, CuLaTeR, You have installed my first three mods. So what do you think of the sound of the Steeda exhaust? I haven't heard any clips yet.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
The rear can be jacked up with a floor jack under the black IRS steel arm right in front of the rear wheels and in towards the center of the car. Then use a couple of floor jacks under the torque box on each side. Do not use the pinch welds because those will bend very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread