where to start where to look? (noob question)

project_pegasus

Established Member
Ok so project pegasus I'm hoping to have the mechanics part done by november or october. Paint body an audio 3rd quarter of next year but I need some advice. The performance wise I plan on a TT set up 31spline axle 3.90 gears (open to suggestions though)a t56 but I hear 1st. Gear is a pig(?) And I'm gona forge the internals because I want plenty of boost should I fancy it.(and ill nead it dyno mat is heavy lol)the car will be show and go but the power is still gona be mostly for show it'll see track time but just drag, my questions are

Is there a "kit" that. Will be a complet forging of the internals. It may be more expensive then peacing it together but I'm forgetfull and don't wana have it all apart just to realize I forgot to order somthin(links would be awsome). Second is the t56 1st gear really a pig or will it prolly not matter with the power ill have? What should I do for cams and And lastly is about the car itself. I'm looking to pickit up next week but I'm torn between two. Both are white. One has 6500 miles on it the guy never drove it. He wants 18k for it though. Or should I go for a 70 to 80k mach since I'm swaping a lot out anyway. Oh and if I miissed anything important for the setup please let me know...oh and suspension will be from griggs

Thanks

Almost forgot. What kind (if any)of gains will I see while preping for the turbos... or will I see a decline from lower compresion?

Last edited:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I would go with a built aluminum shortblock (FRPP Aluminator, Livernois, MMR, etc).

T56 1st gear is not a pig for a car that will have 600+ whp. I would stick with 3.55's.

Custom grind cams for your setup.

If it were me, I would get the 18k 6500mile one.

Why are you going with a Griggs setup if it's going to be a mostly street car with the occasional drag passes?

project_pegasus

Established Member
I would go with a built aluminum shortblock (FRPP Aluminator, Livernois, MMR, etc).

T56 1st gear is not a pig for a car that will have 600+ whp. I would stick with 3.55's.

Why are you going with a Griggs setup if it's going to be a mostly street car with the occasional drag passes?

Thanks for the info was surprised to see you respond and the reason for griggs would be one of those "I read this on the internet" type things. Id prefer not to go irs based On personal taste and from what I've read griggs would be my best bet. Although I'm open to. Ideas nice vid btw ur mach sounds great. So ud recomend just buying an already built bottom and swaping it?and it'd be more then occasional after all part of the show is showing off the power ain't it just meant it'd only be drag that this car would do

Last edited:

RcodeStang

Established Member
I'd recommend buying a Terminator.

Seriously, do you really have 20k+ sitting around (on top of the cost of the car) to dump into a vehicle you don't even own yet? Why not just buy a car that COMES with a T56 and a forged bottom end?

project_pegasus

Established Member
I'd recommend buying a Terminator.

Seriously, do you really have 20k+ sitting around (on top of the cost of the car) to dump into a vehicle you don't even own yet? Why not just buy a car that COMES with a T56 and a forged bottom end?

While I do see your. Point and it is a good one I'm probably one of the few here who want to buy a mach over the cobra eather. Way it goes even if no performance mods are done id still be droping well over 20k into the car and then swaping out the rear end. I read threw a thread in here about somone asking why people got machs and most said because at the time money was tight or they would have grabed a terminator. Kinda brought a tear to my eye. But yes I know it sounds stupid (even more so since I found a cobra not to far from me for 14k) but its a personality thing. Id just prefer a mach to a cobra. Dumping money into a car I don't want just cuz it comes with the bottom built would be. A waste...why buy a girl a ring if ya don't wana get hitched...and the t56 is sitting in my garage got it from my buddy a month ago for free alll I. Gota do is baby sit his car while he's over seas ...pritty. sweet deal lol

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I could have had either and i chose the mach and i would choose it again and again.

Last edited:

project_pegasus

Established Member
I could have had either and i chose the mach and i would choose it again and again.

Oh I'm not saying there arnt people out there that bought a mach because that's what they wanted. I'm just saying based on that thread it seemed most here did it because of $$$$ up front vs over time cost. I know it'll be more money down the road or possably the same. Spending extra cash on a cobra that I'm gona TT anyway isn't much of an incentive when cost of forging would put me in the ame ball park as just buyin a cobra and I already got the t56 and don't want a IRS but anyway anyone else got some input on my questions?

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member

I vote this

project_pegasus

Established Member
Do I have some sort of reputation I don't know about? :lol1:

With me you do lol pritty much all the threads I looked through you had been there but then again thatt should mean I wasn't surprised....guess it was more gratefull since you always seemed to give good input

Last edited:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
With me you do lol pritty much all the threads I looked through you had been there but then again thatt should mean I wasn't surprised....guess it was more gratefull since you always seemed to give good input

Ah. Thanks. My input is always from personal experience ...unfortunately, I have burned through the $$$ to have it. :beer:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

1) I disagree personally. "If" it's a primarily show car with little to no track time I wouldn't waste getting an entirely new block. Stroker forged kit IMO.

2) normally I'd say stick with a 3650, but in this build I agree with T56 and 3.55s.

3) if you can afford it, I agree too.

4) I disagree. Save 3-5k and put it towards the build. Most is going to be redone anyway. Leave the low mileage car to someone that wants to not do so much to it.

5) I agree; why?

My 2 cents anyway.

SOS - :beer:

Last edited:

project_pegasus

Established Member
1) I disagree personally. "If" it's a primarily show car with little to no track time I wouldn't waste getting an entirely new block. Stroker forged kit IMO.

2) normally I'd say stick with a 3650, but in this build I agree with T56 and 3.55s.

3) if you can afford it, I agree too.

4) I disagree. Save 3-5k and put it towards the build. Most is going to be redone anyway. Leave the low mileage car to someone that wants to not do so much to it.

5) I agree; why?

My 2 cents anyway.

SOS - :beer:

Guess I should work on my wording. Yes a lot of cosmetic and audio mods will be made..well not to much cosmetic I still want to see a mach 1 when I look at it...kinda (details closer to finish)but it will be going to the strip as often as I can get to it (not to many options in socal) that would be the reason for griggs. But more intrested in the response to the difrance in opinion on building the bottom. U say to stroke it? But keep 4.6? Got any kits in mind? Links would be great. As for swaping out to a new block atm limited to my phone at work but google didn't help much in pricing anything or finding a vendor to ship one so a link for that would be great to. (Also since I'm on my phone please over look the bad spelling etc.)and if you have any better ideas for suspension I'm open nothing is set in stone.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Guess I should work on my wording. Yes a lot of cosmetic and audio mods will be made..well not to much cosmetic I still want to see a mach 1 when I look at it...kinda (details closer to finish)but it will be going to the strip as often as I can get to it (not to many options in socal) that would be the reason for griggs. But more intrested in the response to the difrance in opinion on building the bottom. U say to stroke it? But keep 4.6? Got any kits in mind? Links would be great. As for swaping out to a new block atm limited to my phone at work but google didn't help much in pricing anything or finding a vendor to ship one so a link for that would be great to. (Also since I'm on my phone please over look the bad spelling etc.)and if you have any better ideas for suspension I'm open nothing is set in stone.

A forged stroker woudl give you a 5.0 modular. It would no longer be a 4.6L. IMO it will add that many more CI to give you some nice TQ to go with the Turbos.

What kind of racing are you talking? I automatically think of drag racing. Griggs is known for road racing suspensions, not drag racing setups.

As for kits and/or internals, just do a search for vendors in here. Livornois is one that comes to mind.

project_pegasus

Established Member
A forged stroker woudl give you a 5.0 modular. It would no longer be a 4.6L. IMO it will add that many more CI to give you some nice TQ to go with the Turbos.

What kind of racing are you talking? I automatically think of drag racing. Griggs is known for road racing suspensions, not drag racing setups.

As for kits and/or internals, just do a search for vendors in here. Livornois is one that comes to mind.

Ill have to look into both options on the bottom end some more when I get to a pc that doesn't block my searches cuz of the word stroker....*sigh*damn work pc... as far as type or race it would be drag from what I've read while griggs is more for carving the corners it did fairly well on the strip and did well on the street. I don't plan on this car being a trailer queen so I figured if griggs gr40 I beleave it was will give me best all around figured it'd be my best bet but again this is all from various articles and threads so open to any sugestions

Last edited:

bwahl602

Established Member
u really have all this $$$?

TT setup -$8 grand
Built motor - $4 grand
Fuel system - $2500
T56 built - $3000
Bolt ons- $2500
Full suspension - $5000
Wheels/Tires: $2000
Audio_ $?
Paint???

Id bet that the TT setup and motor alone you will spend $20,000 on. Its a lot of money... you really have all that dough? Im betting no since your pondering over how much to spend on the car..

Get the car first, then start researching and buying... your gonna have to research to figure out what is right for YOUR build.. Dont buy a twin 76mm turbo setup bc some other guy said its the cats meow... get what YOU need

Bill

project_pegasus

Established Member
u really have all this $$$?

TT setup -$8 grand
Built motor - $4 grand
Fuel system - $2500
T56 built - $3000
Bolt ons- $2500
Full suspension - $5000
Wheels/Tires: $2000
Audio_ $?
Paint???

Id bet that the TT setup and motor alone you will spend $20,000 on. Its a lot of money... you really have all that dough? Im betting no since your pondering over how much to spend on the car..

Get the car first, then start researching and buying... your gonna have to research to figure out what is right for YOUR build.. Dont buy a twin 76mm turbo setup bc some other guy said its the cats meow... get what YOU need

Bill

Heh audio = 17k

Paint = 5 ish

And I wasn't pondering on how much to spend on the car when did I say that my question on the 6500 mile car was more of a novalty question. I knew I was rebuilding the motor swaping the trans rear and suspension so I most likly wasn't going to get it just wantd to see what people had to say bout it and link it if anyone was curious. But no matter as I said this is a project and won't be done (if all goes to plan but does it ever?)3rd quarter of next year which would put me out a year and a few months.....plenty of time based on my income to debt ratio but not going to get into that didn't start the thread looking for a cheap way to do things looking for the right way (or A right it would seem given my options by these guys) so how bout that suspension?

And that seems a bit large on the turbos for my taste but I'm sure that was the point of the comment

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Ill have to look into both options on the bottom end some more when I get to a pc that doesn't block my searches cuz of the word stroker....*sigh*damn work pc... as far as type or race it would be drag from what I've read while griggs is more for carving the corners it did fairly well on the strip and did well on the street. I don't plan on this car being a trailer queen so I figured if griggs gr40 I beleave it was will give me best all around figured it'd be my best bet but again this is all from various articles and threads so open to any sugestions
I never setup a drag suspension on my cars, but If I had, I wouldnt' have used griggs. I just know there are cheaper things out there that are better suited for Drag racing.
Different strokes for different folks. As usual ...always a pleasure ponygt. :beer:

Yep. Just giving him another view point brotha. :beer:

project_pegasus

Established Member
I never setup a drag suspension on my cars, but If I had, I wouldnt' have used griggs. I just know there are cheaper things out there that are better suited for Drag racing.

Yep. Just giving him another view point brotha. :beer:

I see ill have to look some more into suspension was looking for a rounded out set up so that it doesn't suffer to much on the street but then again not like a smooth ride is a big deal ill be the only one driven it lol. And even if I do play on the street it'd just be straigh line stuff so guess I gota do some more searchin for that

Users who are viewing this thread