Which 26x11.5x16 track tire?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
just picked up a pair of 98 GT waffle stars (16") off a buddy of mine and need some recommendations for tires. I'd like to run an all out, E/T Drag but they don't make em in 16'' so looks like they are out of the question. E/T streets, E/T street radials, Hoosiers, etc.....
which would you recommend

SynMan5.0

Established Member
My ET Streets work pretty well. Isn't that a 7" wide wheel, though? You might want to run 10.50s if they are. 11.50s might be a little wide. I've heard good things about the MT drag radials, but haven't really seen a whole lot of them in action yet.

GotGrunt

Established Member
26x11.5x16 ET Streets work well :thumbsup: Heat 'em up and you won't spin...

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
any other recommendations or are the 26x11.5x16 E/T streets the ones to go with?
who has the best price on them

GotGrunt

Established Member
If you are getting these just for track only, don't bother with a drag radial. Go with the original ET streets. You can even drive on them if need be. They are "street legal" lol I've driven 100 miles round trip on them on the highway with no problems, since the closest track is in NJ. These will give you all the hook you will possibly need...

JerseySVT

Established Member
ET streets. Non-radial.

I have the 26x11.5x16's on 16x10's. I cut a 1.69 60' with them @ 15 psi and launching at only 4500 rpm. It bogged and there was no wheelspin whatsoever. Next time i'm dropping them to 11 psi and launching @ 5000. See what happens. Hopefully no bogging, a little wheelspin, and a 1.60 or better.

Anyway, they are great. Sometimes, when I get lazy, I don't even bother to take them off when I drive on the street. I drive to and from the track on them of course. I give them about 25 psi for the street. Theres some sway, but I got used to it.

On the street, I can punch it in 1st @ 4000 rpm and no wheelspin. Thats with them at 20 - 25 psi. Simply put, they HOOK! When these wear out (soon), i'm going to try the 28x12.5x16 et streets.

BTW....it's full weight, lvl 5 IRS. NO WHEELHOP!! Even when they spin, which only really happens when I have the Nittos on.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
JerseySVT said:
...Next time i'm dropping them to 11 psi and launching @ 5000. See what happens. Hopefully no bogging, a little wheelspin, and a 1.60 or better...

:eek: I don't think I'd run them as low as 11 psi, especially considering how heavy these cars are. I've never had a problem hooking at the track with 14-16 psi dropping it from 5500-6000, and I'm making 612 ft.lbs. of torque on the nitrous. I think anything less than 14 and you're taking a risk. The tires would practically be flat.

JerseySVT

Established Member
Jinxd4.6 said:
:eek: I don't think I'd run them as low as 11 psi, especially considering how heavy these cars are. I've never had a problem hooking at the track with 14-16 psi dropping it from 5500-6000, and I'm making 612 ft.lbs. of torque on the nitrous. I think anything less than 14 and you're taking a risk. The tires would practically be flat.

Well, you're the first thats said not to. I've been told be a few that 11.5 psi is about right.

I'll give it a shot. See what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread