Which clutch to buy for.....

Cobra Jet R

Established Member
a daily driver eventually looking to produce around 400hp when it's my weekend cruiser. I don't want anything that will require exerting serious pressure on the pedal. I think the stock is a little to the stiff side and have heard the 03/04 Cobra (M-7060-D46) is a little stiff in pedal travel. Anyone know if it's more or less that ours?

How is Spec Stage 1 & 2 in pedal stiffness?
Mcleod Stage 1 says 375HP. Is that at the fly or RWHP?

thanks

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Spec Stage 2.

Worked great on my 440rwhp daily driven setup.

can't remember what the pedal feel of the stage two over stock was. The stock clutch was only in the car for about 2 months before it exploded. It wasn't that stiff, though. I"m running a stage 3 now, and its not much stiffer than a stage 2. but its much more grabby.

Kinson

Established Member
Anything but a SPEC. Had one stage 3+ and the center center came apart and spec didn't do anything about it. Have a RAM now and no problems.

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Specs makes good cluches, it seems you got a defective one. Managment like specs pisses me off though, if their stage 3+ breaks apart they should replace it!

19Mystic96

Established Member
Black96SVT said:
i vote a centerforce clutch, I love my dual friction

not to hi-jack the thread, but a guy on another forum said that the centerforce dual Friction is mainly for drag racing and wont last on a Daily driven set up.. is this true?

Kinson

Established Member
bmxr152 said:
Specs makes good cluches, it seems you got a defective one. Managment like specs pisses me off though, if their stage 3+ breaks apart they should replace it!
Well, I'm 0 for 2 with them and will never buy or recommend them again after their "no-customer service" policy. Here's a picture of the one for the Cobra.

DSC02450.jpg

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
RoadZOmbie said:
Go for the FRPP 11" Clutch/Flywheel upgrade kit! I've had it for months now and it has a softer pedal but tighter grip and is a good DD set up & and occasional track visits.

Do you have the part number for this kit?

Where did u buy from
is the clutch PP and flywheel included in the same kit?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Kinson said:
Anything but a SPEC. Had one stage 3+ and the center center came apart and spec didn't do anything about it. Have a RAM now and no problems.

RAM makes a good clutch, also.

haz-matt

Established Member
Ive got a spec stage 2 and ill Never buy one again. Pedal is extremely stiff and I cant seem to get the clutch adjusted right even with the firewall adjuster and steel quadrant. It takes alot of fun out of it and puts more work into it. Ive got a rhino clutch in my gt and its smooth as glass and has easy pedal effort.

+1 for sucky customer service.

Last edited:

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Guess im the only one that had good luck with thier clutches. What about the king cobra clutch? Any good, im looking to get a new one too.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
shipwreck17 said:
Do you have the part number for this kit?

Where did u buy from
is the clutch PP and flywheel included in the same kit?

I got it straight from FORD RACING. When I got my kit it came complete with everything: 11" Clutch Disk, 11" Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Throw out Bearing, Pilot Bearing, & NEW dowels and Pins. Not sure anymore if it still comes with the TOB and Pilot Bearing....you might want to call them first to cover you bases if you go this path.

Here's the info and the link. Hope this helps. :)

M-7060-C46
(1)(2) 11" Clutch
Upgrade Kit 4.6L DOHC 11" This kit increases clutch capacity by 10% on 1996-98 Cobra 4V vehicles. It consists of the production 1999 Cobra 4V flywheel, 11" clutch/pressure plate assembly and attaching bolts/dowel pins to replace the 10.5" clutch assembly in the 1996-98 Cobra 4V vehicles.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=3693

Last edited:

epracmetcon

Established Member
Have a ram powergrip HD in my car. Seems to be holding up to the hit of nitrous very well. Have no complaints except it grabs super hard when just taking off from a normal light.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
RoadZOmbie said:
I got it straight from FORD RACING. When I got my kit it came complete with everything: 11" Clutch Disk, 11" Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Throw out Bearing, Pilot Bearing, & NEW dowels and Pins. Not sure anymore if it still comes with the TOB and Pilot Bearing....you might want to call them first to cover you bases if you go this path.

Here's the info and the link. Hope this helps. :)

M-7060-C46
(1)(2) 11" Clutch
Upgrade Kit 4.6L DOHC 11" This kit increases clutch capacity by 10% on 1996-98 Cobra 4V vehicles. It consists of the production 1999 Cobra 4V flywheel, 11" clutch/pressure plate assembly and attaching bolts/dowel pins to replace the 10.5" clutch assembly in the 1996-98 Cobra 4V vehicles.

Thanks for all the info thats exacly what i needed! I called steve at tousley ford and he gave me a price of 230 sometime and if i get a ford pilot bearing its another 8 dollars. That kit comes w/ everything but the pilot bearing. Im almost definatley goin w/ that kit as my car wont be seeing any boost for a long time. If it wasnt a daily driver i wouldnt mind putting a 75 or 100 shot on it but I think ill wait till i graduate or buy another car to aviod any big problems.

Users who are viewing this thread