Which Engine Should I Get?

WhiteSaleen248

Established Member
So I am deciding on which engine would be best fit for my car. I would idealy prefer the 2003 Cobra Engine, but from the looks of the price I would be better of getting a Mach 1 Engine with a Turbo. I want it to be a street car, with a little OOMPH. What would you suggest. My budget is around 6,000 and that needs to include computer, all the wiring needed and tranny (be 5,6 speed or built auto), K-member and probably A-arms while im at it.

Any suggestions?

Built GT
Built Mach 1
Aviator Enigne
99-01 Cobra Engine
03-04 Cobra Engine

Since I will be building the engine before droping it in (preferably bore it out, change the rods/pistons, and other goodies). I will be needing insights on what would be a good setup, and something RELIABLE. I want it to have power, but not something that I would have to worry about. A good goal would be 500rwhp (don't know if its possible with the budget I have). Weather it be N/A or Turbo/SC I would be willing. No Nitrous.

GIVE ME SOME IDEAS! THANKS GUYS :pepper:

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I've seen a complete GT motor out of a 2001 for $300.

I'd look for a 01 cobra motor and get a blower for that.

WhiteSaleen248

Established Member
Hydroshutter said:
I've seen a complete GT motor out of a 2001 for $300.

I'd look for a 01 cobra motor and get a blower for that.

I was thinking the same but the only problem is that the V6 wiring and Cobra Wiring is different (I hear, from a very credible source). I would have to change all the wiring in my car, which would be massive $$, unless I find a wreck or all the wiring necessary. Anyhow, I read that the 99 heads don't flow very well, but if I bore them it would make up for it. Would the 99-01 be reliable enough for 500rwhp? With S/C, Turbo?

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
99 Heads will flow fine with enough boost to get over 500+ RWHP. However, with the expense of the motor, if you get a gt motor...and you want to run 500 RWHP, your looking at forged internals as well. With that in mind I dont think you could get a turbo set-up for under 6 grand including the motor, wiring harness and forged internals.

Also if you tried a turbo mach 1 you wouldnt be able to run that much boost on pump gas becuase of its high CR.

Id say try to get a 99/01 Motor and put a centri on it, youd prolly make around 450 RWHP

WhiteSaleen248

Established Member
I kind of figured that a turbo kit would be 4 grand in itself, but I did see a cobra on here not to long ago in my area for 2 grand! with all wiring and stuff. I was stupid for not jumping on it, but money was tight back then. The plan is to purchase then engine, built it up until its exactly how I want, then drop it in. How much would a Cobra Forged internals cost? Rods/Crank/Pistons (reliable ones, not cheepos)? Thanks for all the help guys.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
if your going to build it.. get a 99 Cobra engine and build that.. it has the tumble port heads, but still has the Teksid aluminum block (stronger than the Ford cast aluminum block)

otherwise, get the 96-99 block, and 03 Mach1, Cobra, Aviator or Marauder heads (I believe they are all the same)

Users who are viewing this thread