Which exhaust for my '03 Cobra???

cobrajoe8

I was looking through some of the forums trying to figure out which cat-back exhaust to purchase for my '03 Yellow Cobra. I used to be into imports (owned a '98 Civic) and knew a lot about mods for them but domestics is a whole other language.

I like the sound of the SLP on my friend's '98 TransAm but I heard a video of one installed on a '03 Cobra. It made a "fire-cracking" sound after revving which I found annoying. I understand that the Bassani exhaust has problems with their cats so that setup is out of the question. I don't know much of the Borla's.

My budget will accomodate an exhaust for around $600. What can you guys suggest? I would also appreciate if you can include estimated hp and tq gains with the exhaust setup and any potential problems associated with it. Thanks a lot.

Joe

P.S. Why are the white '03+ Cobra's faster than the other colors?:beer:

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Exhaust systems that are popular are :
Magnaflow
Borla
Bassani
Flowmaster
Mac

ReducedFat

THE PONTIFICATOR
Established Member
Originally posted by cobrajoe8
I was looking through some of the forums trying to figure out which cat-back exhaust to purchase for my '03 Yellow Cobra. I used to be into imports (owned a '98 Civic) and knew a lot about mods for them but domestics is a whole other language.

I like the sound of the SLP on my friend's '98 TransAm but I heard a video of one installed on a '03 Cobra. It made a "fire-cracking" sound after revving which I found annoying. I understand that the Bassani exhaust has problems with their cats so that setup is out of the question. I don't know much of the Borla's.

My budget will accomodate an exhaust for around $600. What can you guys suggest? I would also appreciate if you can include estimated hp and tq gains with the exhaust setup and any potential problems associated with it. Thanks a lot.

Joe

The SLP is a great system. It made that sound because it was just installed, that's a common braek in sound that you will get for the first few days of use with a new exhaust system.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by cobrajoe8

Joe

You were talking about a cat back system right? Well there are no cats in a cat back system. The cats are located at the mid pipe (X or H.) If you want just a cat back system you will be getting pipes from the mid pipe back as well as the mufflers. I think you'll be hard pressed to get a cat back and a mid pipe for $600. You should easily get the cat back for under $600.

SVTman74

stupid people make me mad
Established Member
Acually its very easy to get a whole exhaust sytem minus headers for under 600

I got a magnaflow cat back for 320 out the door and a MAC prochamber for 200 out the door thats 520 :) The setup in my opinion is awsome, quiet at idle and 5th gear cruising, but louad and mean at WOT. dont forget if you remove your cats you need MIL eliminitors to get rid of the pesky check engine light

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by TheYellowCobra
I hear the Borla Stinger system is really good but a little expensive. I plan on getting the Borla as my first power mod.

hey a fellow yellow! Where those times at Atco? I'll be bringing my stang there some time shortly, I still have to pick it up,lol.

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobraclone
hey a fellow yellow! Where those times at Atco? I'll be bringing my stang there some time shortly, I still have to pick it up,lol.

Hey, what's up? That time I have posted was done at Atco. So you are getting the new screaming yellow, I haven't seen that in person yet. You'll have to post a picture when you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread