Which exhaust for my '03 Cobra???

cobrajoe8

I was looking through some of the forums trying to figure out which cat-back exhaust to purchase for my '03 Yellow Cobra. I used to be into imports (owned a '98 Civic) and knew a lot about mods for them but domestics is a whole other language.

I like the sound of the SLP on my friend's '98 TransAm but I heard a video of one installed on a '03 Cobra. It made a "fire-cracking" sound after revving which I found annoying. I understand that the Bassani exhaust has problems with their cats so that setup is out of the question. I don't know much of the Borla's.

My budget will accomodate an exhaust for around $600. What can you guys suggest? I would also appreciate if you can include estimated hp and tq gains with the exhaust setup and any potential problems associated with it. Thanks a lot.

Joe

P.S. Why are the white '03+ Cobra's faster than the other colors?:beer:

My apologies to admin. for posting this post twice. I meant to post in this forum.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
BLUE is the fastest, BARNONE!!!

Go with the MAGNAFLOW!!!

Great price, fits like a glove, and the sound is superb....

Ken

:beer: :beer:

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
00SVTdubs... Im looking to get a spintech catback for my 03... I was planning on running LTs and a prochamber... which catback would you recommend, the streets or pros?

1992B4C

Established Member
That was probably my car with the fire crackers. Only did it those two times after the initial start up after install. I recommend listening in person to some exhaust systems. Dont trust sound files.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Originally posted by mwaull
00SVTdubs... Im looking to get a spintech catback for my 03... I was planning on running LTs and a prochamber... which catback would you recommend, the streets or pros?

have the Pro's.. Sounds great. No matter which one you choose you will have the coolest setup out there.

Friendchicken

Try to find a car with the Borla stingers in your area. Once I heard them, I was hooked. I liked it more than the Bassani and the Magna... but it's all personal taste.

davidmax

Established Member
Stingers by a MILE!!! and we hAVE THEM in stock on sale.Pm me for price to low to advertise.Dave Smilovic-480-517-4969

Anthony@JDM

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
We suggest Magnaflow, it is all Stainless Steel, great quality, great fit , and fairly priced, call me or pm me for any more info. :thumbsup:

snakebite03

Established Member
stingers all da way
when you mix all the colors together you get black,so Black is the fastest color(catch me if you can)

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by 1992B4C
I recommend listening in person to some exhaust systems. Dont trust sound files.
Listen to this advice! There's no way I'm going to drop $500 on a cat-back without hearing it in person.

For my personal taste, anything that drones or has an annoying resonance is completely out of the question. I have been there and done that with 2-chamber Flowmasters on a 5.0 and the drone drove me insane!!! So that rules out 95% of the popular Cobra cat-backs on the market.

I rode in a car with a Steeda cat-back (made by Borla) and it was the best of both worlds. It had a muscular exhaust note under moderate-heavy throttle...but without the skull-pounding drone while cruising. That's the system I'm buying.

-Greg

magnum4000

Established Member
Having had 2 terminators (black '3 and the current) with 2 types of exhaust, I have to go with the Magnaflows.

Straight through design is great for horsepower gains, and although I still can't believe it, it is not as loud as Flowmasters. The magnaflows give a deep rumble but stay especially tame until you put your foot in it.

For under $400.00 delivered for an ALL stainless steel catback, you can't go wrong.

In my research, Magnaflows outperformed all (except the stinger - my understanding is the stingers are basically glasspacks - I had glasspacks 15 years ago - way too loud and juvenile) in HP ratings due to the straight through design. I don't think there's a big difference between the major companies; any will give you a substantial performance boost. Go with the sound you like best.

Good Luck!

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread