WHICH EXHAUST SHOULD I BUY FOR MY COBRA??OPINIONS PLEASE!

Mowgli

Established Member
Of the four, which would you say is the quietest:

MAC
Bassani
Magnaflows
FR500

Looking for a freer breathing exhaust, a richer and little deeper exhaust note, but not loud. Don't care about price. Keeping stock h-pipe and cats. I'm about keeping a low profile whenever possible. But the stock exhaust is too quiet even for me (sounds like I'm driving a vacuum cleaner). However, like Vintage, I don't want it too loud.

Last edited:

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by Mowgli
Of the four, which would you say is the quietest:

MAC
Bassani
Magnaflows
FR500

Looking for a freer breathing exhaust, a richer and little deeper exhaust note, but not loud. Don't care about price.
Sweet,

if I could have any I would get the Bassini (see postbans sig for the audio) I am concerned about price, most people seem to be saying that the Magnaflows are very nice and at less than half the cost I'm willing to take a flier on them.

Robb03

Established Member
I have 40 series on my Cobra, they are awesomel. A couple people who thought two chamber flows are too loud rode with me and they said it is the perfect sound. THe 03 has very good sound material in the back. I have Magnaflows on my Dakota and I love them too. The Magaflows are a straight through design which might give you a pony or two more, but even so, doing a full catback (Acording to 5.0) gives 10 to the ground so I am happy with mine. You just can't beat the sound of the Flows. With pulleys and intakes and such being around, one to two ponies isn't anything to me. Bassani are probably the best, but then we are talking about very few ponies for the price of them.

cobra03wife

They will all give you a good sound and a little HP gain. The quality of the Bassani and FR500 is excellent. The Magnaflow, which I have is, is very good. If it comes down to $$$$$'s and you want a good stainless steel system, go with the Magnaflow. You won't be disapointed..

Mac03Cobra...:)

C_Record

Established Member
>>Looking for a freer breathing exhaust, a richer and little deeper exhaust note, but not loud. Don't care about price<<

If you don't care about price(and I don't as well), then as Smilovic said, you should consider Borla, they are superb. They are leading the list of exhaust which will go on mine.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I am in the SAME boat. No one seems to carry any parts in my area for the 03. Secondly I do care about price and sound. Want:

1. QUIET!!! At low RPMS.
2. More POWER and TQ!'
3. Good Price!! Bassani for $1500...Yea right!
4. Aluminized is FINE! Hell it will outlast the car and how long I will own it!

HELP!

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
If they made a GOLD exhaust system people would buy it! Why all the buzz about stainless? Dont get it!

Last I checked we dont eat with a tail pipe...

Last edited:

Rob03

Established Member
Magnaflow catback with the Bassani X will be my choices...unless I get a good deal on that new system from Rob Raymer

Last edited:

TruBlu03

I guess it's personal preference. I like the removable baffles the Bassani comes with, had it on my 00 Gt and loved it. I really didn't think it was all that loud, well in parking garages maybe. Is it worth the extra cheese?? I haven't decided yet but I am leaning towards Bassani from past experience. To save some cash I may go with the 01 Cobra cat back instead of the new 03 though.

Need to get my car first, only a month or so to go! :xpl:

NewMexicoCobra

Established Member
Go to http://www.mustangexhaust.com/ which has sound files of most anything you can dream of. There is also an article on the main page dated 8/5/02 that follows the installation of Magnaflow after cat back mufflers ONLY (not pipes). The article also has 2 sound files comparing stock mufflers and the Magnaflow mufflers on a stock 01 Cobra.

The Magnaflow Cobra is just a little louder than stock. Since the stock 01 is a little louder than the stock 03, then the Magnaflow sound should be just right for the more conservative (and in my case, older) folks.

I also called Magnaflow directly and they confirmed that their mufllers are in the quiet range until you open up the car. They also confirmed the power gains from the article but don't forget this is the factory talking.

I ordered my 2 mufflers a few days ago but have not rec'd them yet so I have no first hand knowlege - just a lot of sound file listening and dozens of websites.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Fast03Cobra
If they made a GOLD exhaust system people would buy it! Why all the buzz about stainless? Dont get it!

Last I checked we dont eat with a tail pipe...

No, we don't, but sleeping in physics class is not a way to diet...

Stainless steel, compared to aluminized metal, retains heat better. Exhaust velocity (hence flow rate) will be better maintained, therefore a SS exhaust has the potential to provide better performance.

Gold would be too soft and heavy, hurting ET's.

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
I have a slightly different setup than anyone so far. I have the FR500 and the Magnaflow catted X. When I first got the FR500, I thought it was quiet. AFter I hit about 2500 miles, it suddenly opened up and became pretty loud. Not annoying, but a really deep throaty sound. Then I put the Magnaflow X pipe (with cats) on for good measure. Its downright nasty now. What's amazing is that there is no drone in the cabin. And if you put up the windows and drive, its nice and quiet - you can talk to your wife without shouting. It's very tough to describe the sound, but it reminds me of a Ferrari Testarossa with a slight edge (yes I've driven in one). I have heard the Bassani (complete with cats), and it's got nothing on this as far as I'm concerned - its too raspy for my taste. It must have something to do with the 2 X pipes between the FR500 and the Magnaflow X - it just sounds great - but you can idle through your neighborhood without irritating people. As for power, I made 388 before the X pipe. I was running 8.6 1/8 miles with it. When I added the X, my times are now consitent 8.5's, plus there is definately more power up top (as if it needed it). No dyno yet though. I wish I could post sounds, but I have no means.

Last edited:

Gatorac

Established Member
Man, I wish we could line these things up together and all hear each others exhaust. You guys would all throw you stuff in the trash and buy Magnalows.
biglaugh.gif
(J/K) I would love to hear the differences in person. Sound files can't capture the....well, you know what I mean. Hell, your all car guys like me.
biggthumpup.gif

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I am leaning towards the Magnaflows due to the sound files. The FR500 was my first choice but then I realized they sound RACEY (too loud). The magna's sounded the best. Now where can I get a mandrel cat-back from Magnaflow?

The MAC version sounded ok but look CHEAP when I found a pic...

noslo50

Established Member
After reading all the debates i went with magnaflow, very very happy with my decision. Jerry

DScott600

Established Member
Gutted MAF Screen

Could you explain this mod. I have the magnaflow catback on order as well. I've done alot of research and this seems to be the best for the money. Bassini may be a tad bit better but it's not worth paying alomost double. Any way you go is better then the stock system which is a total pile of crap :-D

StreetSnake

Established Member
Sound like beauty is all in the Eye/Ear of the beholder everyone has a different opinion of what sounds good to them you just have to hold off a little bit and decide what is good for you, If you have an SVTOA chapter attend some of the meetings, You will get a chance to hear every combination under the sun. :beer:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
i was racing around town last night with my windows down. Bassani sounded really good! a new blue colored M3 pulls up next to me and compliments me on the Cobra.

M3 guy-
"Hey, is that one of those new supercharged Cobras"

me -
"Yeah."

M3 guy-
"I've been reading that those are really fast."

me-
"Yeah, pretty fast."

M3-
"I like it. It looks really nice. It sounds awesome too. What kind of exhaust do you have on it?"

me-
"Thanks, it's a Bassani exhaust. Nice m3." (he had large 19" rims and looked like they were 10" wide)

M3-
"Thanks, but those cobra's are insanely fast!"

me-
"thanks..."

Light turns green and I speed off into the night shifting at around 4000 rpm. Not raceing but just having fun listening to the exhaust. Trust me, you would not be dissapointed with the Bassani. They aren't cheap but I figured I'm still saving alot more money than the guy driving the M3.

Users who are viewing this thread