Which Headers

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Hey guys I figured since im going to do the FRPP PI headswap that I will get some exhaust works done. I am probably going to get the MAC Prochamber but I dont know what headers to get. I have heard the MAC Longtubes are not that good, but what about BBK Longtubes?? Everyone post what headers you think are good. :beer:

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
BBK LT's are the most popular, and they seem to work well. If you have the $$$, get some Hooker LT's or Kooks.

Last edited:

AutomaticWeapon

Established Member
BBKs are great, as are SLPs. they both install w/o issue.

MACs will (almost always) require getting the a/c lines out of the way. IMO, the seperate flanges for each cylinder isnt exactly the best design either.

-Mike

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
NO longtube headers install without issue. This is fact.

Plus, bassani and ford motorsport are making shorty headers now that flow just as well as longtubes. I suggest ford motorsport, pricey but some of the best headers out there.

AutomaticWeapon

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
NO longtube headers install without issue. This is fact.
thats not true.

i have installed 3 sets of BBKs and one set of SLPs. i didnt have a single probem with any of the installs. they fit like a glove and clear everything. re-shaping the dipstick tube can be a PITA but it isnt really a big deal.

-Mike

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Almost every person I've talked to that has installed longtubes has had to lift the engine out to some degree. My friend has BBK longtubes on his 98' and the engine was pulled out of the car as well b/c he did it with his PI headswap.

AutomaticWeapon

Established Member
support the engine from the top and remove the k member.

removing the k member is easy. remove the brakes, front springs, rack (tie it up with the hoses connected), motor mounts nuts, and k member bolts.

with the k out of the way the job goes much easier and quicker. i wouldent want any part of installing LTs with the k member in place.

-Mike

IETZR1S

Established Member
I can tell you that hooker long tubes on a 02 GT with a UPR k-member DO rub. Nothing a little notching on the pass. side wont fix. The hooker LT headers also hit my steering shaft on my 02 and the job was a PITA. It took diablosport a few time to get my chip right as well as my car ran like crap with my old chip and new headers

Users who are viewing this thread