Which IRS catback has the longest tips?

lxsteed

Established Member
Just picked up an IRS that will be going into my '90 coupe. For those that know, the fox body lx catbacks have very long polished tips compared to the '03-'04 cars (everything is exposed on the fox bodies, where as the cobras just have to show though the rear bumber):

Lowered013a.jpg

I'm trying to decide if I should morph my current bassani catback and a factory Ford IRS exhaust into one, to try to get the "LX look" or just purchase an aftermarket Terminator kit. So what kind of tips come on the various IRS catbacks?

tj04cobra

Established Member
most aftermarket cat backs come with a 3 1/2 or 4 inch tip which may look too big on the back of your car. maybe morphing your exhaust like you mentioned would be a good idea.

IACobra

Established Member
i think he meant longest, not widsest....

My magnaflows' polished tips are 16" long, (15" if measured on the bottom edge of the tip- they're flared). From the point they widen out to the end diameter (remember, their OD is smaller at the front), it measures 13" (12 along the bottom)

lxsteed

Established Member
Yea, was going for length over diameter. Although anything larger than 3" will probably look silly on o fox.

venomous99

Established Member
if you're trying to dupliate the lx tailpipe look it wont be possible with the irs catbacks unless you go with a full 3" catback exhuast. most irs catbacks are 2.5" with the tip being larger, which might look funny w/ the bare lx bumper. i dont recall any irs catback where the tip is long enough to make tucked into the bumper where u dont see the 2.5" to 3-3.5" tailpipe transition. not sure which kits have 2.5" tips?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Best think would be to have a set made out of polished stainless that joins the main catback right behind the tire just like the stock system. That way you don't have a "tip" just a nice long polished section; slash cut 'em of course.

Users who are viewing this thread