Which is better, Seafoam or pull the intake manifold?

gmaine

Established Member
Saw the Seafoam post which is alot easier than pulling the intake manifold and cleaning the IMRCs the hard way. Which is better? Anyone pulled the intake after seafoam?

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
pull it, you can't get everything cleaned well with the seafoam, there was a thread a few weeks ago where someone pulled it a week after seafoam and it was still dirty. its not overly hard.

KingCobra97

V Dub
Established Member
SnakeBite98 said:
pull it, you can't get everything cleaned well with the seafoam, there was a thread a few weeks ago where someone pulled it a week after seafoam and it was still dirty. its not overly hard.

What he said...

I'm definately not a mechanic but was able to clean the IMRC's ok. Just set aside a Saturday and follow the write up.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
By comparison...SeaFoam is just a smoke show. I did them within 30 dys of the other and the seafoam might have loosened up the seals on the IMRC's a little, but, they were still filthy from top to bottom. I have marginal mechanical abilities at best and I got it sqaured away in about 4 hours or so.

duane v

Established Member
SeaFoam = why bother....In a b-headed 4 valve, unless youve gone with breathers, IMRC deleate after having the heads all freshened up, youre gonna have to deal with the varnishing and filth in the secondary ports...A couple of 7000 rpm blast would probably clean it best without having to pull the lower intake off and spend all afternoon cleaning the mess up....DA snake boy!!!

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
I did 2 cans of sea foam 1 month before i did this. The sea foam did however clean the primary intake ports if they were dirty. The primary ports looked like new...

818673_32_full.jpg

818673_33_full.jpg

818673_34_full.jpg

818673_35_full.jpg

818673_36_full.jpg

cleaned intake runners

818673_37_full.jpg

IMG

fullofvenom

Established Member
Pull it apart. I did the Seafoam trick about a week before tearing it down and the difference was certainly noticeable. The car absolutely screams now. There was a bit more "bite" after running SeaFoam through it, but nothing compared to a full on cleaning. Its not that bad a job.

SVTclutch

Established Member
SnakeBite98 said:

Who did the short runners?

For $5 ....Seafoam did do a good job. The IMRC"S do open better now, they were probably stuck before, no "4-barrel" kicking in feeling now....smooth. I would still clean the IMRC"S by hand though

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
SVTclutch said:
Who did the short runners?

its an SSR that i bought off a guy on corral, its not a super short runner but it is definetly shorter than stock. i did that and deletes at the same time and it pulls very hard now, still waiting for numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread