Which motor to get.....

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
I've been plannin a longblock swap but Im not sure what to get . I have been looking into both MMR and VT . Both seem to have nice motors, the VT is gonna cost a little more tho. VT uses what you send them where as MMR gives you a new block and new heads(FR500). There has been alot of problems with MMR's cryo treated oil pump gears but other then that I havent heard anything too alarming.

For now Im gonna put my 2.3 whipple back on the motor and maybe later this year go turbo. I guess that depends on what kinda results I get with the whipple on the new motor. I also have a dry kit that I have been saving for when I get the built motor. I'll probably be spraying a 50-60 shot , only on the track tho.

So is it worth gettin I beams or will the H beams hold up ? Should my money be spent on gettin a stroker or gettin I beams ? If I have to make a choice between the two, should I choose ported heads or cams ? My ideal setup is a 302 stroker with I beams, ported heads and cams. If I splurge on all that tho I wont be able at the same time to do my roll cage, k member, coilovers, etc....So Im thinkin maybe I can get what I really need out of this motor so I can still afford to do the k member kit while the motor is out as well as installing a decent 6 point roll car plus a few other upgrades here and there like the fuel system.

It would be nice to hear from the MMR and VT owners as well as anyone else with a built motor. Im trying to see what else is out there besides these 2 companies. I know DSS and MPH make some decent motors too but I dont see alot of them out there in the 03-04 cobras. Of course I'd love an Al P Boss330 racing motor most of all but the wait time plus cost might not suit me. My timeline is 2 months at the most. I'd like to have the car done by the end of the summer. Has anyone had a longblock built by Al P ? post up please .

GodStang

Established Member
I got all new stuff from VT. I still have my old block, pistons, rods, heads, cams, headers,.... Been very happy with VT and they have treated me very well even 1.5 years after getting the engine.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
can you post some details and pics godstang , also how much did you pay ?
Thanks sikklightning, Im tryin to make it even better !

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Go VT.

Ported heads, cam, titanium valvetrain, billet rods, cp pistons, arp bolts, aluminum block stroked out to a 5.0L. If you want to go crazy...wet sleeve. Hmmmmmmmm

sikklightning04

sikklightning04
Established Member
Thanks sikklightning, Im tryin to make it even better !

no problem, all the power to you guys. I want to twin turbo a quad. I was on ls1tech.com haha dont tell anyone. and they make TT kits, 120rwhp, throw it on some 20'' 325 drag Radials! hah
what do you think about that?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Modular Performance, call John Tymensky and tell him what you want. Their quality, skill, and reputation is 2nd to none.

GodStang

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words. Guys all I can do is give you my opinion. You need to call around and talk to different builders and tell them what you want out of your car and see what they can do for you. We called 10-20 engine builders in the US and Canada and talked to each of them and we decided for what we wanted VT was the best for us. We called every day with questions for months and months before we finally put money down. Scott and Jim where VERY nice every time and if they where not there they called us back usually with in the hour.

As far as price I will have to find my paper work. I am not a good one to go by because we had an engine built that can rev past 7500 rpms and can handle around 1600Bhp so it is a bit more expensive.

I will post pics tomorrow when I am not about to fall asleep.

Also STAY AWAY FROM DSS ON 4Vs!!! My buddy had one in his 96 cobra and the car had like no miles on it and all 8 pistons cracked with some of them being cracked fully in half.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Venomous01 said:
Go VT.

Ported heads, cam, titanium valvetrain, billet rods, cp pistons, arp bolts, aluminum block stroked out to a 5.0L. If you want to go crazy...wet sleeve. Hmmmmmmmm

The iron block will be fine for me. I know its nice to save weight but I rather spend that money on other upgrades. The 5.0 stroker seems worth it to me the more I think about it. Just sux that Im gonna have to probably stick with stock cams since I might go turbo in the future.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
und3rgr0undk1ng said:
The iron block will be fine for me. I know its nice to save weight but I rather spend that money on other upgrades. The 5.0 stroker seems worth it to me the more I think about it. Just sux that Im gonna have to probably stick with stock cams since I might go turbo in the future.
Good point. Mod within your means and specific goals. If turbo is the end goal then build the motor with that in mind without a doubt. I basically listed what I plan on doing. :lol1:

I'm excited to see this come together for you. I'm sure with enough research you'll make the right decision for you.

Last edited:

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Ya its all about doing research and exploring all the options out there. I was so close to ordering a billet stroker from MMR 2 days ago but I decided to wait at the last minute.
I have heard of Modular Performance and I think I'll check them out too and ask around .

mavereq

Established Member
i'm having mine built by proline racing. they are a bit spendy but their machine work is second to none.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
mavereq said:
i'm having mine built by proline racing. they are a bit spendy but their machine work is second to none.
After reading the thread from I believe Steeda30 about the issues he had with his motor from Proline I wouldn't think about getting a motor from them. I wonder how he feels about Proline after his ordeal? Maybe he would still buy from them maybe not. His feedback could be valuable for those looking at Proline's motors.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
badcobra said:
Modular Performance, call John Tymensky and tell him what you want. Their quality, skill, and reputation is 2nd to none.

ABSOLUTELY!

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Good luck with your decision Steve. I would go the the MMR, you get all new components, and then you can sell your old motor.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Steve, I would still consider the aluminum block. I understand what you're saying about using that money for other improvements, but getting that 80 lbs off the front of the car can have a HUGE affect on your launch as well as your Cobra's stance during wide open throttle performance. Hung out with JR and Ken yesterday and talked about this for nearly an hour.......With a 10.06 and 9.98 under their belts respectively, they swear by the importance of front to rear weight dynamics.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
80lbs is a lot to take off the front of the car and the total weight of the car. In addition the aluminum teskid blocks are incredibly strong if you can find one in good shape. I don't think you can buy them brand new. I may be wrong and please correct me if I am.

YoungJim

Established Member
I don't know about getting a Teksid block, but FRP has recently released a new block specifically for us, it carries p/n M-6010-A46SC. It is a whiff heavier than the teksid block, but it is designed specifically as a Terminator block. I've seen it for about 1000 Canadian, although I don't know if it comes finished or if it needs some love at a machine shop. Anyone know? That is my plan for when I get my new motor together.

Users who are viewing this thread