Which of these 2 mods?

CobraTone

Established Member
Well, unlike some of you guys who have a steady income I am still in graduate school, So I have to mod REALLY REALLY SLOW. Anyways, I have saved up a few hundred bucks and was trying to decide between these two mods.

1 - A Steeda CAI.

2 - MM Caster Camber Plates

The reason for this dilemma is that I really want the extra few ponies from the CAI, BUT I am God aweful sick and tired of my pull to the right, and after multiple "alignments" by the dealer it is still there so I figured the only way to get rid of it was to get the CC plates and take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Well, I always go for the hp mod.

But, if you have a pull that you haven't been able to get fixed after multi attempts & you're confident the CC plates will cure it, I'd say go for the plates. The pull is hurting your enjoyment of the car, with an additional 20+ hp from a CAI, you'll still be frustrated with the pull. Get the car sorted and feel 100% happy, while you're enjoying not having the pull anymore you can save up for the CAI.

My 2 cents.

Dave.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
CobraTone...id have to agree with Daffy.
MM Caster Plates look the best from whats out in the market & should help if u can get a shop to align it corretly.

I dont think u will gain that much more HP with the Steeda CAI from what u have now but maybe just leaving out a few ponies.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I just want to interject a little info on why you cant get your pull fixed. Wheel alignment shops usually offer three different packages.
1. Standard alignment - they align the front wheels to the vehicle's centerline, without reference to the rear wheels.
2. Thrust alignment - they adjust the front wheels only, however the alignment equipment references the rear wheels and aligns the front wheels to the rear thrust line. The front wheels are adjusted to spec in the position they will be traveling straight down the road.
3. Four wheel alignment - they adjust all four wheels to a common centerline. Most front wheel drive vehicles are designed to be four wheel aligned.
They probably have been doing a standard alignment which is usually fine but your rear (thrust line) may be just a bit off, though this is unlikely. You want a thrust alignment if it is the case. Mustangs cannot be four-wheel aligned because it has virtually no adjustment in back. But more importantly tell them to check your Toe. Your Toe should be in (not out) 1/4 degree from the factory. I will bet this is really why you have a pull. One of your wheels has the wrong toe, causing it to pull the car to the right.

Hope this helps,

Kyle

CobraTone

Established Member
Snake Eyes - Very helpful information, thanks a lot. Are you saying I should forgoe the CC plates and just have them do a good thrust alignment? Do you think I could get Ford to do this under warranty? Thanks for the help, if I can get the pull fixed I will most likely go with the CAI instead.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
"No" on the plates, the car should steer straight from the beginning. You shouldn't have to modify the car to fix a problem, it's called a "Mod," not a "Repair." Get the CAI, and hold the dealer's feet to the fire for the steering issues.

CobraTone

Established Member
I don't know, it is kind of a tough issue for me. I have read several posts of people fixing the pull to the right with the CC plates, and the benefit of that would be not to have my poor baby subject to the dealership's ignorance any more than it has to be. I may take it to the dealer one last time and mention the thrust alignment deal, and get them to align it to SVT's specs which I have seen on this board, and if that doesn't work I will be going the CC route. :rolleyes:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
The TOE is more likely what the problem is. And the toe is adjusted by the tie rods not the cc plates. The Thrust alignment is just incase the toe is dead on and you still pull. But it comes down to the fact that the car should steer straight to start with.

Here is a good overview of the Mustang suspension.
Mustang Suspension Basics

Kyle

ALA G8R

Banned
This wasn't on your list, but I'd recommend getting a SFPHQ DUB 3.4 pulley setup. I gained 21 RWHP with it. Stock belt is used and no chip.

As far as the pull to the right, don't let Ford off the hook. If you are not satisfied, have them fix it.

My $0.02.

Peace!

PS. Hey CobraTone -- How bout them Gators! Time to strap it on for another addition of Zookball.

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
If your pull if *that* bad, I would lemon the damn thing.

Keep in mind these cars pull. You can't expect to have 9'' front tires and not have a pull.

If you are sure the MM cc plates will fix it get them. If not, lemon the damn car and start over.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247

Keep in mind these cars pull. You can't expect to have 9'' front tires and not have a pull.

Other mfgs have cars with 9", or even wider, and no pull issues.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Other mfgs have cars with 9", or even wider, and no pull issues.

My Saleen pulled. If the road isn't perfectly strait, it will pull tword the low side. It's the nature of the beast. try putting some 16x7 ponies on your car and see how it does.

jrh99

Established Member
I wouldn't be suprised if your pull isn't due to your alignment at all. I'd bet it's a tire pull! Make your dealership rule that out first before spending any money or letting them slot your strut towers!

Don't let them slot, you won't be happy. Look at my old threads, find the pictures... it's ugly.

Ever since I installed a new set of tires the pull is non-existent, and the vibe is also gone.

CobraTone

Established Member
Here's how bad the pull is - No matter which side of the highway I'm on, it happens on any road, if I let go of the wheel I will either change lanes or run of the side of the road almost instantly. Can this be caused by the tires? I mean it is BAD.

CobraTone

Established Member
Originally posted by ALA G8R
This wasn't on your list, but I'd recommend getting a SFPHQ DUB 3.4 pulley setup. I gained 21 RWHP with it. Stock belt is used and no chip.

PS. Hey CobraTone -- How bout them Gators! Time to strap it on for another addition of Zookball.

Good idea, I'll check out that setup. Go Gators. :beer:

jrh99

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
Here's how bad the pull is - No matter which side of the highway I'm on, it happens on any road, if I let go of the wheel I will either change lanes or run of the side of the road almost instantly. Can this be caused by the tires? I mean it is BAD.

You bet! I know from experience. Your describing my pull to a T. It was that bad.

Do you have a the tools to switch your tires yourself? I know that our tires are directional but, for testing purposes only you could swap sides and see if your car pulls to the left after the swap. Or maybe you could get your hands on a pair of tires that are known to be good. Like a friends... shit if you were closer I'd let you try mine.

Users who are viewing this thread