which one would you get?

blkboltkid

Established Member
i have the oppertunity to buy a 01 cobra with 51k for $17500. or a 03 mach1 with 6k and for $20500. i do more dragracing then anything else. also which one will be worth more 8 yrs down the road. i dont know :shrug:
any help would be great.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I would get the Mach. It has the solid rear for drag racing and the heads are superior. If you get the Cobra you would have to spend alot of money to keep from breaking half shafts and to control wheelhop (or swapping to a solid rear).

If I were to get any newer stang it would be a Mach (even over an 03 Cobra). I love those cars. Great n/a power and take very well to mods. It takes very little to run 11's in a Mach.

69hahaha

Established Member
Nothing against the Cobra but, deff. the Mach! Especially if you are more into drag racing.

67bigblock

Established Member
Mach. You wouldnt want to spend similar money for an older vehicle with so many more miles on it. Also,..you might be able to get the Mach for about a thousand less if you shop around.

Fosters

Established Member
the mach, mainly cause avg people don't know what it is... get a black one if you want a sleeper... stripes aren't that easy to see... get any other color if you want people to see you from 5 miles away :p

ONEbadmachONE

Redirect NOS to air vent!
Established Member
MACH MACH MACH, The cobra guys will hate you because your car is cooler than theirs. Except for the extra power in the 03 04 cobras the mach is ten times the car a cobra is. The 2007 cobra will most likely return to a live axle because of the wheel hop issues in the cobras of today. STAY AWAY FROM THE IRS!!!! SVT itself says there is no real fix for the wheel hop and they will probably get rid of it altogether. This prob is not uncommon to irs cars, MM&FF mag blew the whole rearend out of a viper because of wheel hop, the parts actually fell out of the car and it had to be towed back to the pit. THAT HAD TO SUCK! I love my mach and people stare at it like crazy! I have a friend with a cobra that puts down 446hp to the wheels at the dyno this last week. My buddy rode with both of us and said my car felt faster under acceleration. Could be those awesome torque cams they put in the mach because Ford wanted to make it a drag racer all the way. Anyway, long story short GET THE MACH they will be worth alot more in the long run as there are only 94 of my combo made and a couple thousand of my friends cobra combo made. Do the math. It's a classic too so it's got history already. Btw mach 1 mania that is a gorgeous mach! How far did you drop that?

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
It sounds like the Mach would be a better choice for what you want. :thumbsup:

...and with that I will step out of the way of the ensuing onslaught. :pop:

01cobra'''dohc

Huffman Brothers Racing
Established Member
here's what i think. i have an 01 cobra and i love it. the car has an awesome power curve. yeah the irs sucks but with a good set of tires at the track"i have et streets" there is no wheel hop. on the street it does suck though. as in handling the cobra will kill the mach. the reason i picked a cobra over a mach is that i test drove each and cobra feels so much more powerful. i'm downgrading the mach because i love mustangs just personally like the cobra better. the only problem i've had with my cobra is the tranny. the junkest thing ever put in a mustang. tremec 3650 is a piece of crap. been rebuilt three times by ford. i'm not sure what the mach has. i think its the same??????? both cars are awesome just like the cobra better. my opinion

ONEbadmachONE

Redirect NOS to air vent!
Established Member
The 03 04 cobra def has more power, there is no question there. The mach has some handling issues too but they can be easily resolved and they can be made to handle as well as a cobra. As far as trannys go, the mach has a 5 speed as opposed to a 6 speed. Less gears in the same area means less breakage. The 5 speeds are much more durable than the 6 speeds. You might consider an auto. I know usually that is a dirty word but you need to drive a mach auto. They come with a shift kit from the factory and have incredibly firm shifts. They also have ceramic coated gears and many internal parts are also coated. Mustangs and Fast Fords says they are bulletproof up to around 500hp. As you may know sluggish shifts are what make an auto suck and not last long. The mach auto has none of these characteristics. It actually burns rubber with the traction control on when going from first to second. And I dont mean a chirp! I certainly didnt mean to trash on cobras I love cobras, in fact I love ALL mustangs. I just think if you are drag racing you should get a Mach. The irs is not good for launching but it rocks in cornering! If you do get a Mach and you want it to launch like crazy and handle like a cobra, I suggest you look into the steeda 5 link suspension. It lowers the mustangs outer space roll center and makes it handle like a ferrari. It also locks down the live axle from moving around, something that really is annoying when going through bumpy patches under hard driving. I am not saying Machs are perfect but they are sure cool, and for cruising appeal you cant beat them. P.S. Change out the tires on whatever you get, the factory ones are not gonna get you where you wanna go and thats putting it nicely! Cant wait til mine wear out! And trust me I am trying hard! :burnout: LOL

STKMACH04

01 Cobra or Mach 1

Get the Mach its a better performer on the 1/4 mile and like others said it is a head turner and will hold its value longer, Plus if its an 04 you will have a 40th ann special edition car. :burnout: I just looked back at your post its an 03 your looking at you can get a 04 for 20-22 k with low miles good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
Absolutely the Mach. It has more personality, and IMO looks better. I would put money on a stock Mach 1 over a stock '01 Cobra at the drag strip. :D

Users who are viewing this thread