Which rotors do I use for 5 lug conversion w/north racecars brackets?

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
I'm seriously confused after reading up all of the conversion articles, because I am using the stock GT/LX length axles and the north racecars brackets so I could use the common Mustang replica wheels in 4 lug. Now, I'm kind of wanting to do the Cobra 13" front brakes, and I need to convert to 5 lug. No problem on the fronts, but the rears have me confused. Do I have to buy new rear calipers and brackets again? Isn't there a 5 lug rotor that I can just swap on using my original 93 rear brakes while using the north racecars brackets? Thanks for any help, I'm just not seeing where this was discussed with success.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
i can't answer your question, but i have a set of those rear brackets for the 11.65 (i think) rear brakes. I got them new from Jim on corral. i've never even used them, they're still in the box. i'm going to keep my rear brakes. if you want to trade straight up i'm game. let me know if your interested.

fivestangs

Established Member
Isn't there a 5 lug rotor that I can just swap on using my original 93 rear brakes while using the north racecars brackets?

I *think* the mn12 platform thunderbirds (89-97?) used 5 lug wheels and I *think* that since the '93 cobra rear brakes were basically stolen from that platform they are the same size (10.87" I believe?).

mmm...that's a lot of *thinking* and not knowing...sorry! ;-)

I'm going to be looking into doing this too if/when the 5-lug replica wheels come out I'll be looking to keep my rears and add 13" cobra brakes up front.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
Ya, that's what I'm looking forward to doing. Either way, I'm converting to 5 lug, I'm not holding my breath on the 5 lug Cobra replicas, but I do hope they make some.
Anyway, I guess other than writing all I did in the first post, I could have just asked it very simply...."Is there a rotor that is exactly same as our stock rear rotor, except in 5 lug?" There, that's easier now isn't it? :rolling:

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
i can't answer your question, but i have a set of those rear brackets for the 11.65 (i think) rear brakes. I got them new from Jim on corral. i've never even used them, they're still in the box. i'm going to keep my rear brakes. if you want to trade straight up i'm game. let me know if your interested.

Thank you for the offer. If I can't find a 5 lug rotor the same as the original, then I'll take you up on that.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The MN12 T-bird is 5 lug but they are not a 4 1/2" 5 lug pattern, they are a metric bolt pattern from what I remember

The 93 Cobra rear brakes were " stolen" form the 87-88 TB Turbo Coupe.

I don't know of a rotor that will for sure get you what you need. The SN95 GT/V6 rotors are 10.5 I believe and the cobra is 11.65 The GT/V6 rotor may be close enough to the correct diameter to be used???

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
So then I take it you can't convert a 93 Cobra to 5 lug without having to buy new rear brackets, calipers, and rotors too. Well that sucks, I thought it would be as easy as buying some 5 lug axles and 5 lug rear rotors and being done. Hmmm, maybe I'll just have to redrill the ones I have.

Users who are viewing this thread