Which spec for 460tq at wheels?

silvercoffin

Established Member
I would like input regarding this because spec and every shop I call recommends a 3 or 3+ for my car. The spec stage 1 is rated for 485 at the crank.

I just bought a new trans and its coming with a 26 spline shaft so i need another clutch.

The 3+ is strong as hell but i cant launch with it. I used to cut 1.63 60fts with my FMS clutch and now I cant do better than high 1.8s.

Someone at the track with a car with simliar power was using a 2+

Here are the ratings from spec.......

Stage 1 485tq
Stage 2 589tq
Stage 2+ 659tq

Remember thats at the engine. I dont know how much you loose at the wheels btu I run 470 to the wheels.

I want a clutch that will hold up a little longer than stock, but that will slip enough to launch the car well.

If anyone wants to buy my clutch ill sell it real cheap. spec 3+ and flywheel with 800 miles on it. You will never burn it up! lol

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
You lose about 15% to the wheels so your 470rwtq would equate to about 550 at the flywheel.
How were you launching it with the Spec 3+? Since it grabs like a mofo you probably need to rev it high and dump it on the launch and hope that you make traction.

silvercoffin

Established Member

yup thats probably why now that I have the et streets and no more hop from all that power I either spin the et streets or bog. There is no inbetween because there is no slip...or very little.

I'm going with spec 2 or 2+ still not sure which.

silvercoffin

Established Member
??????

Does anyone know how much power the oem clutch is supposed to handle? I was going through one of those every season and half but I really liked how they worked. If I knew what their rating was that would help me decide which spec to go with.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Thats what I am leaning towards, but someone made a comment about kevlar not being good for frequent racing?

Is kevlar that bad? The 2+ is a mix of kevlar and something else.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
I had a 3+ and it was great....

I was cutting 1.61 60s on 17" rims...

I think with some Welds and ET Streets I'd do mid-low 1.5s

silvercoffin

Established Member
uhhh

does a 98 have a solid rear?

With a solid rear the 3+ would be awesome.

I need another clutch because im switching to 26 spline and there is no way ill get another 3+. with the lousy IRS its impossible to launch and very hard on all the components of the car.

The 3+ is a great clutch. Its strong as hell. But I have learned unfortunetely through trial and error that the strongest clutch isnt always the best at the track. Your driving style and application have to be taken into consideration. in this case i believe its the wrong application for this clutch.

nightstalker865

Established Member
silvercoffin said:
Thats what I am leaning towards, but someone made a comment about kevlar not being good for frequent racing?

Is kevlar that bad? The 2+ is a mix of kevlar and something else.

I will have to look into that. It's not something that I have heard about.

Users who are viewing this thread