which supercharger

Snake_93

Established Member
Soon when I have all the funds available I will be having a 331 built. Once the engine is properly broken in I will be purchasing a supercharger and need to make a choice on which one I want to purchase.

Vortech S-trim

Or

P1SC 14-20 psi w/2 core intercooler

Black93Cobra

Established Member
I've run Vortech's before in other Mustangs and been very pleased with their performance But I have to say the ATI unit is definitely worthy of consideration. Personally, if I were in the market now for a SC, I go with the ATI but that is just my $.02. :)

1qwkpny

Established Member
VORTECH all the way. THe prochargers run hotter which is why you must run the intercooler. A buddy of mine has one and it's a good blower but the discharge/intake charge temp is about 20-30degrees higher than the vortech he just switched to... Both are good blowers but for ease of installation I would simply say go with vortech.

02_Lightning

Established Member
I would stay away from ATI. I saw a 93 Cobra loose a belt off that blower (common from what I hear) and it shot through the hood. Also, the drivers side fender must be hogged out to accept it since it mounts on the other side of the engine. The battery gets switched to the passenger side.:nonono:

1qwkpny

Established Member
HAVING RUN VORTECH, PAXTON, ATI, POWERDYNE I CAN SAY THIS: BOTH VORTECH AND PAXTON ARE GREAT W/NO MAJOR ISSUES GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND EASY INSTALL, ATI GREAT BLOWER MOST DESIGN FLAWS HAVE BEEN FIXED BUT THE INSTALL IS A B$$$H AND YOU MUST RUN THE INTERCOOLER B/C OF IT'S HIGHER OUTLET TEMPS, POWERDYNE BD-11 GREAT EASY TO INSTALL BLOWER FOR MILD STREET MOTORS BUT DEFINATELY NOT A RACE BLOWER(COG BELT FAILURE AT EXTREME RPM) THATS WHY THEY HAVE THE NEW XB-1A.. FOR YOUR MOTOR I WOULD SUGGEST THE PAXTON NOVI 2000 B/C IT'S THE LAST BLOWER YOU'LL EVER NEED TO BUY, THE S-TRIM IS GREAT BUT NOT EXACTLY COMPAREBLE TO THE PAXTON EITHER WAY YOU SLICE IT BOTH PAXTON AND VORTECH ARE THE SAME COMPANY NOW.

buddha93

Established Member
The Vortech S-trim is good, but in my opinion, the NOVI 2000 is better. Stay away from the ATI stuff. They are hit and miss (in my case, a miss) for most people. Either they work great, or they have a ton of problems (thrown belts, leaky seals, hardware problems) with them. Anyway, the Vortech or the NOVI all the way.

lxtacy

I have a Vortech S-Trim on my LX, bolted to a stock motor. Besides seeing 8lbs of boost, other mods are 24lbr's, equal length headers, h-pipe, mac mufflers, C&L Mass air, and 3.55's. My best time on a drag radial has been 11.9 @ 115.7 mph. Granted, this was a very cold night, with a cold car. Once the car heats up, you can expect to run a a couple to a few tenths slower, and around 2-4mph slower. I don't even bother racing my car in the summer because it feels like a slug. Fall & winter, its an animal.
I have had no issues with the S-trim. I bought it used out of the want ad press, and have had in on the car for three years. No leaks, no problems, just a nice whistle reminding you of what is under your right foot :)

93ReefNotch

Established Member
Hey Frank. I was your reading ur reply and thinking wow that combo sounds familar. LoL

All 5.0L Vortech Kits have dropped in price due to a summer sale by Vortech. The satin S-trim kit has dropped to $2500. Plus there is a $100 mail-in-rebate through vortech and Summit is having a 10% sale on everything until Aug 9. So that brings the price down to $2200!!

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Whats the difference between the vortech v-2 S-trim vs the v-2 SQ? They are prcied the same, so what do you get with one that you don't get with the other?

VOR-4FA218-030S Supercharger System, 1993 5.0 Ford Mustang Cobra, V-2 S-Trim, Satin $2,556.95 B/O

VOR-4FA218-030SQ Supercharger System, 1993 5.0 Ford Mustang Cobra, V-2 SQ S-Trim, Satin $2,556.95 B/O

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Also, the above stated that they are for the cobra only, but this kit
VOR-4FA218-040SQ Supercharger System, 1986-93 5.0 Ford Mustang HO, V-2 SQ S-Trim, Satin $2,556.95
states that it is a H/O aplication. Would this work better/worse/or the same on our cars, would it even work? Also, when switching to a forced induction system like a supercharger do we need to upgrade our fuel management, ecu, or maf?

race495

Established Member
Ok, the difference in the S and SQ trim is the SQ trim is the quieter of the 2. They are supposed to be identical impeller wise but the cut on the gear drives is the change.

As far as the differences between the HO and Cobra kit, from what I understand it is just in the calibration for the FMU since the Cobra came with 24lb inj from the factory.

The kits come with a T-Rex pump and as long as you don't pulley the blower down too much you will be safde with what you have (assuming your car is pretty stock).

Of course you couldn't go wrong with an A9L swap along with a 75 or larger mass air and 36 or 42lb inj. This way you will have room to grow.

lxtacy

93ReefNotch - When are you ordering your kit? You can't beat a new S-trim kit for $2200! Email me the pics of that "home made" intercooler for fox-body S-trim.
If I use the aftercooler, I think I have to ditch the power pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread