Votes: 98 66.7%
  • Kumho ECSTA MX

Votes: 49 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
The GS-D3's are a great tire. They definitely grip better than KDW's with the original tread design. They are also pretty good in the rain and are durable (don't chunk like BF Goodrich tires). You really need to be careful when you mix tires front/rear. Your car will handle like shit with R-compound tires (A032R's, 555RII's, etc.) and non R-compound tires on your car at the same time. Also, the KD's do not grip as well in the dry as the R-compounds mentioned above. They are about the stickiest non R-compound tire made, but they still are made of a harder compound as compared to R compounds.

Quick Strike

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Try the Falken azenis RT-615. It is a road race type tire, not a drag radial. They hook pretty well but not at a DR level. You won't, however, fear for your life in the rain.

I have had these on for a month now (275 40 17). They hook better then the 2 pairs of GS D3s (285 40 17) I have worn out. They handle every bit as well as the GS D3s. I had MT ET Street radials (275 40 17) directly before the Falkin 615s, and the experiences related above are correct. The street radials hook nicely on the street, but do not handle or last like the GS D3s. I got 3k miles from the MT ET street radials while the GS D3 s were lasting around 8K miles. It will be interesting to see how long the Falkin 615s will last, but I think they are a good compromise for now. I not scared of the rain anymore.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I have almost 30k miles on my 615's.. I use them as my street/ rain event tire. I am almost down the wear bars. I'm not sure you can use me as a case study though. I drive like a grandma on the street. I run V710's at the track and autox...all bets are off there.

Edit: I'm not sure why Pirelli's are not mentioned.. Generally anything with the word Goodyear, Pirelli, or Michelin stamped on it tends to be way over priced for what you actually get in a tire.

Last edited:

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
TroyV said:
I have almost 30k miles on my 615's.. I use them as my street/ rain event tire. I am almost down the wear bars. I'm not sure you can use me as a case study though. I drive like a grandma on the street. I run V710's at the track and autox...all bets are off there.

Edit: I'm not sure why Pirelli's are not mentioned.. Generally anything with the word Goodyear, Pirelli, or Michelin stamped on it tends to be way over priced for what you actually get in a tire.

I agree, except that at $201 per tire for 275-40-17s, the GS-D3s are a good value.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Well, here is a 2 year update on the GS-D3 tires.....I have used these tires at two track events at Thunderhill in CA, a few times at the track and lots of hualing on the streets. Not sure exactly what my milage was when I put them on but like I said, it's been 2 years and I now have 25,000 miles on the car, tires are still above the wear bars, getting close though. I deff love them and will probably buy them again.

James

Users who are viewing this thread