Which TOB and Retainer Sleeve To Get

Killer04

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Just recently started having issues with the drive-train in my Cobra. The car squeels a bit when going from neutral to first and at other times its almost imppossible to get it into gear. I've done some research and realize its most likely a busted retainer sleeve and possibly a bad throw out bearing.

I took the car to the dealership and they're going to look at and let me know what they find. I know they're going to try to rape me and I don't want them to replace the bad parts with the same $hitty parts.

Have any of you had the dealer replace it with stock parts? Did you run into the problem again??

I'm going to go aftermarket and my question is what all do I need to get rid of this annoying problem. Do I just need a new TOB and retainer sleeve? I see that Lethal sells these parts, so I'll most likely be getting the parts through them.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

KILLER04

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
I just ordered both exact parts that you inquired about from Lethal, there is another place that sells them for cheaper that also starts with an L I just chose to order Lethal's product. As far as taking your car to the dealership I would rather research some of your local tranny shops as this is an easy task for them or if you want to get raped at the dealers and have your car returned to you with an extra scratch or two go ahead. Get quotes, even from the dealership, it can run anywhere from $200(friend prices) to $600(highway robbery) for just labor.

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I have a FRPP tob and a McLeod retainer sleeve.

Install will be a little more bc there is additional labor involved in replacing the retainer sleeve.

Killer04

Established Member
Awesome! Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah the dealer said they'd look at it most likely on Monday and call me to let me know what they find and get my okay on whether they should proceed or not. Definitely going to tell him "no" on that and then get the right parts installed by my mechanic.

Thanks for the help.

KILLER04

Helomech74

Established Member
Lethal billet sleeve and FRPP or Timken TOB. I have had great luck with both of those TOB's. I've never used the McLeod TOB sleeve, but I'm sure it's a quality piece too.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I've heard bad things about the Timken Tob, people have had issues with them. if you go with the FRPP tob and keep it adjusted properly you will have no problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread