Which tuner?

Chaosoto

Ok guys i just got a 2004 F150 Lariat supercab with the 5.4 3v and was looking into a tuner. I will be eventually doing a CAI and Cat back for the time being. I am debating between the Diablosport, SCT and Edge tuners. Has anyone tried these on the F150's? I do a lot of city driving but do take a 16 foot trailer with equipment on longer hauls about once a month. Any input would be appreciated.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Out of the box, all three are great tuners and will liven the truck up quite a bit. The 3V F-150 has extremely slow throttle response and soft tranmission shift algorithms in stock form.

The Edge unit is nice if you want to stick with the 'canned' tunes that come in the unit. You can also mount the unit on your dash if you like the real-time display.

Personally, I prefer to upload a program from the tuner, then unplug the tuner and toss it in the garage or glovebox. The SCT and Diablosport tuners will offer you very good tunes as well, with the added benefit of being able to get a 'custom' dyno tune for your truck. If it were me, I would check around a find a well respected tuner near your location and purchase whichever tuner they work with. That way you will have the option to have them 'custom tune' your truck in the future.

Chaosoto

Thanks for the input. I will check out some local tuning shops and see what they prefer to use and go from there. Since i may go with the roush S/c later i may just look into the edge for canned tunes since the roush kit comes with a programmer

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The roush kit doesn't come with a programmer. You actually have to send your truck's factory PCM (computer) to Roush and they burn a program directly into your computer. The Roush 'tune' is a very safe tune and retains full factory driveability, but there is more power to be had with a custom tune if you are so enclined.

... so... If you want a custom tune AFTER you put in the roush supercharger, you will still need a diablosport of SCT programmer.

Troyer performance is about the best F150 tuning place that I know of. You could always give them a call and they can help. Their website is troyerperformance.com.

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
i used Justin at VMP Tuning for my 09 F150 with an SCT Xcal3

What kind of differences did you see in your truck as far as power / towing / shifting / throttle response / fuel economy? I hear from others that it is a completely different truck with any tuner (much better), but I haven't heard an independant review of the SCT.

Last edited:

Chaosoto

What kind of differences did you see in your truck as far as power / towing / shifting / throttle response / fuel economy? I hear from others that it is a completely different truck with any tuner (much better), but I haven't heard an independant review of the SCT.

Yes please, do tell, do tell

TERMIN8TR

Established Member

It's the way this truck should have come out of the factory. Now when I hit the throttle it gets up and goes, no more falling on its face.

Fuel economy wise, I was seeing 14.9 mpg city (on the digital display) and now it's showing 16.9 with the same driving habits.

I wasn't looking for power increases per se, I was more interested in getting rid of that damn torque management.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
The SCT xCal 3 is an amazing device.

i have an '01 Supercrew and it is a night and day difference.

I bought mine used from a local guy for $280 bucks but he said he originally purchased it from jeepers den.

I have also spoke with Justin@VMPtuning personally and he is trying to get rid of some of the older SCT xCal2's so you may want to give him a call and see if he will cut you a deal.

search your local area's craigslist or even craiglook.com to find a used SCT or other form of hand held tuner.

the sct is also very user friendly and has a file on it to have custom tunes added aswell as a file for you to change your stock settings.

so far i have set my rev limiter to 6400 over the previous 5500rpm.

speed limiter is turned over stock 105mph limit. shift points have changed and the truck also shifts harder now and i currently have it tuned for 87octane but i can switch it to 93 anytime.

and the sct saves your vehicles stock tune and you can switch it back to stock whenever you want

Users who are viewing this thread