Which Tuning Parameters to Datalog?

SuperG

Established Member
After owning an SCT Xcal2 for several years with my '97 and another for the last 1/2 year with the '03, I finally did some datalogging...it's really pretty cool to watch the various parameters change. My problem is I have no earthly idea of what I am looking at!!

So, if I were to send a file to a tuner, which parameters am I going to datalog?

Also, if I wanted to see how all 8 cylinders are firing, what variables help with that?

Thanks for any help!!

Venimus

Established Member
IAT, IAT2, Spark, MAF counts, Load, injector duty cycle, fuel pump duty cycle, throttle position, RPM and STFT

SuperG

Established Member
Thanks guys!! Can I send the results and can you make comments...like, "you're car sucks, it won't run like that for very long!"

Last edited:

mofasta

Flex Fueled
Established Member
Start the vehicle. Click on the “Graph” Icon and open the various “trees” to check the following PIDs (datalog items): RPM, MAF AD counts, Short Term Trim 1, Short Term Trim 2, Load, Idle air integrator, ISC duty cycle, battery voltage, fuel source, spark source. On returnless fuel vehicles (’99 and up Mustangs) also choose fuel pump duty cycle, pressure drop across injectors. On Blown Mustangs and Lightnings also choose Intake air temp or downstream intake air temp or IAT temp. They may be in a different order and may be labeled slightly different.along with your a/f reading.
For the first tests record A/F at idle, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 and 3500 RPMs just free revving the motor. When you first start it, wait 2 minutes before taking the first idle readings – then rev to 1500, wait about 10 seconds and record the readings, etc. If the readings sometimes jump around, just give a rough average of what they are. Record below – note Target A/F is 14.64 – so in this mode really anything from about 14.4-15.2 is OK, since the 02 sensors will pull it into tolerance when they are turned on:

“0” Tune

RPMs Air to Fuel MAF Volts

Idle

“1” Tune

Idle

“2” Tune

Idle

“3” Tune

Idle

If any of the tunes are close to 14.64 at all positions, you can start WOT runs.

Wide open throttle – this is best done on a dyno. But if you have a long deserted stretch of highway and a friend in the car and you will not exceed the speed limit or be unsafe, you can do it on the street. Do either third or fourth (in a 5 speed – 2-3 in an auto) gear runs, start at 2500 or so, don’t let the engine lug though. The target A/F at WOT is 11.5:1. Stop the run if the A/F goes leaner than 12.3-12-4:1 this can cause engine damage. It may be lean at the beginning of the run while the fuel transitions to open loop, this is OK, but by about 3500, it should transition. Stop it if it goes lean up top too. STOP the run if you hear ping or detonation. The tune assumes 10* base and 39.5 fuel pressure (stock). in the meantime, take 2-3* out of the distributor.

mofasta

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
IAT, IAT2, Spark, MAF counts, Load, injector duty cycle, fuel pump duty cycle, throttle position, RPM and STFT
Yep...that's pretty much what I do as well. I also do Battery Voltage, Fuel Pressure Drop Across Injectors, and Coolant Temperature.

SuperG

Established Member
I have loaded the updated version 4.41 and when loading one of the configuration files posted above, I get a window that says "Device Initialization Failed. Continue Loading Configuration File?" Then when I click "Yes" most of the parameters listed under Signal are filled with "????"

I have another config file that gets the same message, but still has all the Signals filled in properly...

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have loaded the updated version 4.41 and when loading one of the configuration files posted above, I get a window that says "Device Initialization Failed. Continue Loading Configuration File?" Then when I click "Yes" most of the parameters listed under Signal are filled with "????"

I have another config file that gets the same message, but still has all the Signals filled in properly...
That means the Xcal 2 is not hooking up with the Livelink.

You have to install the drivers for the Xcal 2.
http://www.sctflash.com/software/XCal2_Drivers.exe

Here is a quick video on how to install these drivers.
Installing USB Drivers

Also, be sure to update your firmware on your Xcal 2.

Here is a tutorial for it.
http://www.sctflash.com/software/firmware_update.pdf

Also, before you load the cunfiguration file on Livelink, be sure it is plugged into your OBD2 port in your car and the car is started and running.

SuperG

Established Member
Thanks! You know, I'll bet it's because I am not hooked up to the OBDII...also, I need to update the firmware, I am sure...

Thanks for all the great info!

SuperG

Established Member
Well...this is fun...from the instructions above, first, when I plug my XCal2 into the laptop, the programmer lights up, but I do not get the window popup per the USB Driver installation instructions.

Second, when I go to the link provided above regarding the tutorial for the firmware download, it sends me to a different part of the SCT page (I think the "downloads" page has changed to "getupdates") so I selected Tech Support, then the Ford Xcal2 9400 and Device Update Software...there is no XC2LiveUpdate2.exe file per the instructions...so I tried the file they had...that's a Version 2.20 file...So I ran it. Then the Tech Support says to click on the link for the firmware, eventhough underneath it it says that it's only for 2007 F-150's!!! But I downloaded it anyway.

Finally, when I run Live Update 2 (that I just downloaded) the instructions tell me to open the program, then plug in the programmer, and load the LU2 file...everything seems to go fine, then a pop-up window says ERROR - truncated input file...I am gettiing very frustrated.

And I am sure my tune from Pro-Dyno is now gone...Yep just checked...the programmer is clear of everything, not even the menu comes up anymore...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread