Which way is up on springs

ditchsnake

Established Member
I know im in the wrong section but was hoping to get a quick answer. Putting a set of coupe springs in my vert. Got them mixed up. Which is the top? I put them in and wanted to check the height. How is it possible that the coupe springs were 2 inches shorter than the verts? The coupe springs without cutting dropped the back by 1 1/4 inch. Used the stock isos. I'm pretty sure they are in upside down. Does it even matter.

92 Couper

Established Member
Yes, coupe springs are about 2" shorter than vert springs, but they are made of a stiffer wire to get a higher rate. I have always thought that verts sat a bit higher than coupes with stock springs too. I just did the same swap, only I cut 1/2 coil off of each corner. Have not taken it off the jack stands yet as I am waiting on my MM IRS bolts to come in today.

And yes - the pigtail of the spring goes down. this is eay on the front as the top is closed up and ground flat. On the rear it is a bit hard to tell. On the rear the top will have the tail touching the next coil and on the bottom they will be spread apart.

Users who are viewing this thread