While working on my BMR K member install......................

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I'm also planning out the next mod I will be doing in the garage, one of them will be to install part of the CHE axle brace, specifically the cover plate that bolts to the rear cover.

I bought the brace when fellow member kwarnerjr installed one on his TP Shelby, he mentioned the shop that did his install had to mod the bracket slightly for it to fit on the diff cover (around the area where the temp sensor is). Here are 2 pics he sent me of his install of that area:

b06447b0c470891e04808fac7a277005.jpg

29e9789a8b60f9bab0c83e337b794d61.jpg

As you can see his shop did a little bit of grinding of the plate in that area to clear the sensor, I was expecting to have to do that when I got my brace. To my surprise when I got the kit and took a look at the plate it looks like CHE heard of this problem and they made a change. Here are pics of my cover plate for the diff:

4h45lv.jpg

27xpiy0.jpg

Good of them to do this change so I don't have to grind it down to clear the sensor, however I still wonder if the plate can be easily installed when you install the 5 studs into the diff holes and bolted down with the nuts provided then you try to install the plate and secure with another 5 nuts. With the temp sensor there it looks like it's going to be pretty difficult if impossible to get the plate on there.

We'll see when I attempt the install of the plate..............K member's gotta go in first.

Tony

quikstang90

Established Member
Yes i was the guinea pig with che on the brace. I talked alot with them and sent pics that they needed and they sent me a finished product. The guy on the phone said he was not aware of the temp sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Cman01

hello
Established Member
So does the plate install fairly easily with the 5 studs/nuts installed to secure the cover and with the sensor in place?

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Unscrewing the sensor to put the plate in means I'm going to lose gear oil out of the diff and will have to refill.

Maybe I should wait till I get my 3:90 gear installed and let the drivetrain shop put that plate in when they remove the cover.

Instead of using the CHE supplied studs and nuts I'm thinking of getting 5 slightly longer diff cover bolts and use them to bolt down the cover and plate together.

quikstang90

Established Member
Unscrewing the sensor to put the plate in means I'm going to lose gear oil out of the diff and will have to refill.

Maybe I should wait till I get my 3:90 gear installed and let the drivetrain shop put that plate in when they remove the cover.

Instead of using the CHE supplied studs and nuts I'm thinking of getting 5 slightly longer diff cover bolts and use them to bolt down the cover and plate together.

No u wont lose oil. The hole does not go into the housing and into oil. It is a blind hole and im assuming it measures the air temp

quikstang90

Established Member

And dont use bolts. Use the supplied hardware. Studs are stronger than bolts and thats the whole reason for the brace is strength.... dont add another weak link

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Really??? The sensor doesn't contact diff oil to measure temp? That is odd.

Yeah I see your point about the studs from the kit vs. bolts but from the install pics above it looks like the plate is bolted down directly to the diff cover.

The CHE instructions say to remove 1 bolt at a time and screw in the studs then screw the nut on and torque to specs. When all 5 are done then u put the plate on and use the other 5 nuts to torque down the plate.

That would mean the plate is spaced out slightly from the diff cover and sandwiched between 2 nuts on each stud.

Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread