Whining in rear end?

hiattwl1

Established Member
2011 GT500, about 47k miles. Noticing a high pitched whine in the rear end, sounds almost like axle bearings or maybe the driveshaft center bearing. I've got an ESP, but want to narrow it down as I don't always trust my local dealer to diagnose correctly.

Is the noise common on these? At first I thought it was the fuel pump, but it changes with speed. Gets pretty loud over the radio now.

railroad

Established Member
Check the lube in the trans and rear end. If that is OK, probably a bearing in the rear axle.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Mine's done it since it was new. I took it in and had them look at it and was told its "a characteristic of the car." As much as I know that's bullshit, I never noticed and major indicators of wear in the gear oil and the axle run out seems to be good so I'll deal with until I'm ready to upgrade the rear end.

railroad

Established Member
It is gear whine. A bearing will usually make noise all the time. If lucky you can drop the dirveshaft and check the pinion for any movement in and out. You can tighten the pinion nut and take the slack up. This is the easiest fix possible and may or may not cure the whine. You only need to take up the slack in the pinion, do not tighten it more. If you add after market suspension it can transmit more sound to the ear, but gears are supposed to quiet.

sono

Established Member
I had it since new as well. Replaced gears still there.

The Fix: Thick piece of dynomat in the trunk. Also had some dynomat installed under the rear seat. No big deal.

hiattwl1

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Doesn't seem to change when accelerating or coasting. The only whine I can hear when accelerating is the supercharger! But it seems to get louder just based on straight speed. I need to get a good recording of it. Phone just has too much background noise. Probably going to get all the fluids changed just to be safe.

railroad

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Doesn't seem to change when accelerating or coasting. The only whine I can hear when accelerating is the supercharger! But it seems to get louder just based on straight speed. I need to get a good recording of it. Phone just has too much background noise. Probably going to get all the fluids changed just to be safe.

Yours sounds more like a bearing. If it is an axle bearing, sometimes you can touch the brakes at speed, do not lift the accelerator and see if the noise changes or quits. Drum brakes on the rear actually work better, but the disc may center the axle up enough to make a change. If it is an axle bearing, you may need an axle also. Good luck,

magrag

Established Member
Mine is at the dealer now for rear end noise.
Will keep everyone updated as I get info.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If you have any kind of upgraded rear upper control arm with poly or spherical bearing youll always have noise. It will be LOUD if you drag race with it as there will always be wear on the gears . A bulletproof setup of the rear end will help prolong the gear life and hold off the whine for awhile, but itwill always be there.

I dynamatted under my rear seat abd over the mounting bolt. Didnt change a thing for me haha, still loud AF.

magrag

Established Member
Got my 2014 GT500 back from service dept today. The noise is fixed!! Was the wheel bearing on the driver side. Dealer replaced wheel bearings on both sides, new ring and pinion gears, plus all the little stuff to complete the job. No noise on the way home. This happened with only 6700 miles. Service was very good in my opinion. It took a week.

RBB

Established Member
My diff has been singing lately. I've got too many passes to count on a 35K mile 2011 making about 700 rwhp, so I think it's just one of those things. After my last trip to the strip I developed the dreaded whine under acceleration in 4th gear on up. Certain RPM ranges are worse than others, and of course interstate driving is right in the sweet spot. I took a 3 hour drive last weekend to visit some family and it was just about unbearable on the interstate with the windows up....I'm not one to be all that sensitive to NVH either, but the constant high pitched howling was too much. Going to have a fresh set of FR 3.73s put in this winter.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mine is at the dealer now for rear end noise.
Will keep everyone updated as I get info.
Did they have your wife stay with the car to make sure that's not the whining you're hearing?

Canson

Established Member
That's a familiar sound. Annoying huh?
It is really annoying for me and the passengers.

The worst thing is it sounds on highway between 60-100 mph. That's the speed I always drive on highway. Not even fun on 2 hours or longer trips.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread