Whining noise low speeds?!?

johnnytea

Established Member
Hey Guys, im getting a kind low whining humming noise coming from my enigne area only at low speeds or idle, and it only seems to happen in very hot weather after i drive for a long time then slow down or stop. I cant get it to do it on short trips or when i actually have a chance to get under it and take a look! Hopeing its something like the power sterring pump going or something else little. Goes away when i speed up, Any thoughts?

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Are you sure this is the right forum? Your sig says you have a 2000 F-150, not a lightning or SVT model vehicle. It is hard enough to troubleshoot vehicles over the internet, but if you have something quite different, it is darn near impossible.

I am going to take a shot at your problem and give you some ideas. It sounds like a weak power steering pump. As the fluid heats up it becomes thinner therefore the wear on the vanes allow slippage or the noise you describe. The other thought is it might be a belt tensioner that is wearing out. Good luck.

lightning_2001

Established Member
is your truck a lightning?because mine is and it does that sound as well. i took it to the dealershipa while back and they said it was the billet grill i had on it making the whistling noise but i know its not it.! ive been trying to figure it out. if i get anything ill let you know.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
if you've got a lower pulley on it, it's probably that b/c of the lack of the balancer thats on the stock pulley.

fasttruk

Established Member
mines is whinning to but it's coming from my tranny hoping it's my converter and not the tranny

fasttruk

Established Member
mines is whinning to but it's coming from my tranny hoping it's my converter and not the tranny

Users who are viewing this thread