Whining Noise

starnsey

Established Member
I thought this whining noise was coming from the transmission, but I'm not so certain its coming from the transmission anymore as it seems like its coming from the rear of the car. The whine comes in 3rd through 5th gears and is only audible while I'm pressing the gas. Even if I leave the clutch out and the car in gear, the whining goes away if I take my foot off the gas while the car is in motion. My car is a Mach 1 but I have a 03 Cobra IRS in the car with the full FTBR kit.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the engine shakes a whole lot more in 5th gear than it does in all other gears and its not from bogging it down in low RPMS as it looks to happen throughout the RPM range (I can tell due to the shaker). Anyway, here's a video that you can easily hear the noise. Skip ahead to :45 and you'll hear it. I thought it was the transmission but it almost sounds like its coming from the rear end...but why would it be in only certain gears and only under load - even with the car in gear?

[youtube_browser]cxw-DmKXyGk[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

10sec89

Established Member
The drive side of ring and pinion are wore, or wasn't properly shimmed on a rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread