whipple 17lb or 19lb

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
I used a boost a pump which increases the voltage to the stock fuel system and makes it pump more fuel. Works perfect and that's what a lot of guys do instead of swapping out pumps.

I run 17 lbs of boost on my Whipple and got 599 RWHP out of it with a safe tune. I would have went 19 lbs boost but many of the knowledgeable guys in here advised against it unless I wanted to be forced to mix race fuel in with my premium fuel all of the time. Seems to be that 17 lbs is the max you want to run if you plan on using pump gas 93 octane. The 19lbs requires more octane to run safely. I couldn't see having a big drum of race fuel in my garage at all times to mix just so I could drive it.

Hope this answers your questions. I see that you're relatively new here according to your posts (but almost a year since you joined up) If you don't already know, this is the place to be. There's lots of guys in here that know their stuff when it comes to 03/04 cobras.....Ask away and you'll get the info you need!

2814v

Established Member
Sorry to highjack your thread, but I was wondering what boost if any is possible with stock fuel injectors and fuel pump and a whipple.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
17# is about as much as you want to run on pump gas. After that, you have to start pulling timing and things like that for it to run on 93 and you basically stay at the same power level or start losing. The boost-a-pump is definitely the way to go for more fuel until you start to get past that 600rwhp mark.

2814v, the stock fuel system is only good up until about 470+/- rwhp. Some have gone up to nearly 500rw that I've seen, but that's not the norm. You can obtain 470 with a few bolt-ons and a pulley swap on the stock eaton, so I really don't see the point in getting a whipple if you want the stock fuel system. Just get a SCT 2400 mass air (about $250), boost-a-pump (about $300), and 60# injectors & harnesses (about $450). With those things, you should be good until a little over 600rwhp. If you're gonna drop $3500 on a whipple anyway, what's the harm in another $1000 on the fuel system to really make the blower swap worth your while? My $.02

Honky

My car was dyno'd at 510hp and 503 lbft of torque.

I use the stock fuel system and have had no problems running lean so far. If I go any further I will need to upgrade.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Honky said:
My car was dyno'd at 510hp and 503 lbft of torque.

I use the stock fuel system and have had no problems running lean so far. If I go any further I will need to upgrade.

As I said, it does happen, but it's not the norm. The stock mass air is usually the first thing to max out, and it's usually 470-490. The stock fuel pumps should be good for 500 pretty safely, but anything you get above that is just lucky. You shouldn't have problems with injectors until over 550 most of the time. Hope this info is helpful.

Yellow cobra

Established Member
WOLFGANGSTA said:
I used a boost a pump which increases the voltage to the stock fuel system and makes it pump more fuel. Works perfect and that's what a lot of guys do instead of swapping out pumps.

I run 17 lbs of boost on my Whipple and got 599 RWHP out of it with a safe tune. I would have went 19 lbs boost but many of the knowledgeable guys in here advised against it unless I wanted to be forced to mix race fuel in with my premium fuel all of the time. Seems to be that 17 lbs is the max you want to run if you plan on using pump gas 93 octane. The 19lbs requires more octane to run safely. I couldn't see having a big drum of race fuel in my garage at all times to mix just so I could drive it.

Hope this answers your questions. I see that you're relatively new here according to your posts (but almost a year since you joined up) If you don't already know, this is the place to be. There's lots of guys in here that know their stuff when it comes to 03/04 cobras.....Ask away and you'll get the info you need!

Yes,i got what i need thank you,
and thank all guys too.

Users who are viewing this thread