whipple 2.9 dyno thread

MineralCobra

Established Member
Bring this back up, curious to see if there were any recent numbers or setups people have done on the 2.9 whipple.

Getting close to my 1000 mile break in on new motor, kind of excited to see what she well put down.

91strockercoupe

Established Member
I couldn't find a thread on what power people made with there whipple 2.9 setups
Post pulley combos, boost psi, timing, power, crusher or not, long tubes or not and catted x pipe or not. And fuel used.built engine or not add anything else you would like.

I'll start
16psi stock lower 3.5 upper, Mac long tubes, lethal o/r x pipe, 93 octane, no crusher, stock engine, lethal budget return style setup twin 340lph pumps 18 degrees timing 575 whp

4lb lower 3.5 upper 21psi 20# timing 650whp 566torq torco 108UL I use c12 also since I can buy it local. 80-82% inj duty cycle stock fuel feed line and rails

Apologize if this is a repost I can't find a actual thread with everybody's 2.9 setups with info
Wjat belt on 3.5/4lb?

MG0h3

Established Member
Well this is only 5 months old......

For you guys running lowers, how many are running a metco vs a modded caged setup? Anybody hear of a 2.9/metco setup snapping a crank?

MG0h3

Established Member
Ok thanks Malcolm. Wasn’t sure if that was a 3.4 thing only.

Got a line on one of the caged lowers so I’ll just spring for that and consider the bushings a maint item.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MalcolmV8

Established Member
There was a FB post a while ago where a guy managed to snap the crank snout with a 2.3 blower. Who knows what all happened leading up to that but just shows nothing's fool proof.

fitforspeed

Established Member
.30 over cp racing pistons
Stock heads and cams
Studded heads and mains
2.9 whipple
Custom inlet by cozmo2806
Dragon throttle body
3.2 upper 4# lower 24lbs boost
Bbk long tubes and x pipe
Jlt high boost and 80's
2 465's pumps in return
Kurgan tuned 790hp 724tq
On E juice
17* timing
Special thanks to: Sam,Andrew,Glenn

Hey man your only at .20 over on your bore. I can tell by your low torque # haha

MG0h3

Established Member
There was a FB post a while ago where a guy managed to snap the crank snout with a 2.3 blower. Who knows what all happened leading up to that but just shows nothing's fool proof.

Geez. Never heard of that.

If this turns into too much of a hassle it'll be turbo time I guess. Buddy here was spinning his TVS with a 6lb lower and I think a 2.6 upper and still only hitting 21 or so. Altitude blows.

cj428mach

Established Member

I remember that.

I think people go for too tight of a belt, slip can be your friend sometimes.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I remember that.

I think people go for too tight of a belt, slip can be your friend sometimes.

Yeah so many variables you just don't know what some people have done. Did they run something slightly off balance? did they tighten that belt so tight it was about shredding rubber? was a big hammer involved in installing the pulley? etc. So when there's rare random one offs I don't get to worried but then again maybe they didn't do anything wrong and certain conditions or weaknesses can cause a failure. You just don't know.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
More people should try this aramid tensile cord RPM belt from gates. I'm amazed at how little tension I have it set at, and it's holding 22psi no problem. I have the whipple tensioner slid much less over than before. Not to mention the belt looks badass. Big thumbs up to that belt.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Yeah so many variables you just don't know what some people have done. Did they run something slightly off balance? did they tighten that belt so tight it was about shredding rubber? was a big hammer involved in installing the pulley? etc. So when there's rare random one offs I don't get to worried but then again maybe they didn't do anything wrong and certain conditions or weaknesses can cause a failure. You just don't know.

What did your cobra end up making on a 2.9 crusher? Im curious because my build is almost complete and i based a large part of my engine off of your set up.

MG0h3

Established Member
More people should try this aramid tensile cord RPM belt from gates. I'm amazed at how little tension I have it set at, and it's holding 22psi no problem. I have the whipple tensioner slid much less over than before. Not to mention the belt looks badass. Big thumbs up to that belt.

So I think I remember you or someone talking about this belt. Doesn't stretch? So do you have to have the whipple tensioner or would I just run a longer belt so there is less tension at the factory tensioner?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
So I think I remember you or someone talking about this belt. Doesn't stretch? So do you have to have the whipple tensioner or would I just run a longer belt so there is less tension at the factory tensioner?

no, you do not have to have an adjustable whipple tensioner....although its certainly a wonderful unit. You should be able to run it like any belt with what you have.

the problem right now is sizing....they're slowly adding more, but i believe there are fewer choices than the hd green belt or standard belt. here's the chart

https://assets.gates.com/content/da...428-3291-rpm-belt-dimension-list-newbrand.pdf

I picked out the most likely sizes....not many choices between 716 and 751

K080716RPM K080751RPM K080765RPM K080780RPM K080794RPM K080797RPM K080810RPM

these belts stretch minimal if not at all. they are also extremely low dust. I've had mine on for almost 2 months now and the polished 2.6 RR upper pulley and the metco idlers are very clean compared to when I ran the standard gates or gatorbacks

MG0h3

Established Member
ok I'll look into that. Really want to stay PD blower but I'm gonna have to spin the shit outta this thing to get the boost I want and I don't want to be eating lowers all the time. Hopefully the two I have will come apart!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
ok I'll look into that. Really want to stay PD blower but I'm gonna have to spin the shit outta this thing to get the boost I want and I don't want to be eating lowers all the time. Hopefully the two I have will come apart!

It's certainly worth a try if you can get one of the sizes work. Maintain boost.....less tension needed, thats a win-win. Massive tension WILL find the weak links and destroy them! This belt is a game changer for supercharged cars

Users who are viewing this thread