Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 Swap

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Yes exact same pulley setup on both. Only change was Gen 3 Whipple and swapping the SW Hi-Flow cats for their Cat Elim pipes. Now I have both so can swap in/out as needed though we don’t have emissions testing here in FL so....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you be up for doing a pull with the cats back In place?

Be curious the difference they make up at your power level.
There are guys on here claiming they rob 30 or more hp in other threads. @DHG1078 @gimmie11s and if so, that's most of your power gain

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Would you be up for doing a pull with the cats back In place?

Be curious the difference they make up at your power level.
There are guys on here claiming they rob 30 or more hp in other threads. @DHG1078 @gimmie11s and if so, that's most of your power gain

I’m definitely not planning on it but my tuners experience at this power level w hi-flo 3” cats vs o/r pipe is maybe 8rwhp - 10rwhp. 30rwhp maybe if you were going from the long OEM Cat section to a full o/r mid-pipe. We literally just substituted in 3” pipe for the maybe 8”- 10” long Stainless Works 3” Hi-Flo cats themselves. You can see right through the cats so I can’t imagine it’s much of an obstruction. All other exhaust was unchanged. Also, other Gen 2 to Gen 3 swaps on GT350’s and GT’s are seeing 50rwhp - 80rwhp from the results I’ve seen posted online by Whipple/Palm Beach Dyno so if anything my gains are on the lower end. Possibly due to rear inlet setup of GT500.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I’m definitely not planning on it but my tuners experience at this power level w hi-flo 3” cats vs o/r pipe is maybe 8rwhp - 10rwhp. 30rwhp maybe if you were going from the long OEM Cat section to a full o/r mid-pipe. We literally just substituted in 3” pipe for the maybe 8”- 10” long Stainless Works 3” Hi-Flo cats themselves. You can see right through the cats so I can’t imagine it’s much of an obstruction. All other exhaust was unchanged. Also, other Gen 2 to Gen 3 swaps on GT350’s and GT’s are seeing 50rwhp - 80rwhp from the results I’ve seen posted online by Whipple/Palm Beach Dyno so if anything my gains are on the lower end. Possibly due to rear inlet setup of GT500.

Your hi flow cat pipes have 2 or 4 cats?

KENS96M6

Established Member
The real question is how many gerbils?

I need to make some calls on a Gen 3 Crusher 3.4
-J
I talked to Whipple yesterday. I was told that the 3.4 rotor pack is now gen. 3. Also told that the 4.0 rotor pack is gen. 3. Tech. at Whipple was pushing the 4.0 for a built 5.8. He claimed the height is the same on both cases and the 4.0 is only longer. Also that the 4.0 will fit under a stock hood with a BMR lowering K member. I would sure like any input on this. Thanks

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I talked to Whipple yesterday. I was told that the 3.4 rotor pack is now gen. 3. Also told that the 4.0 rotor pack is gen. 3. Tech. at Whipple was pushing the 4.0 for a built 5.8. He claimed the height is the same on both cases and the 4.0 is only longer. Also that the 4.0 will fit under a stock hood with a BMR lowering K member. I would sure like any input on this. Thanks

I had a Whipple 3.4L on my 2007 GT500 when they first came out back in 2008. It fit under the stock hood w BMR k-member and drop spacers but i hated the feel/NVH of the Front suspension/steering after doing that. But yes it can be made to fit.

KENS96M6

Established Member
I had a Whipple 3.4L on my 2007 GT500 when they first came out back in 2008. It fit under the stock hood w BMR k-member and drop spacers but i hated the feel/NVH of the Front suspension/steering after doing that. But yes it can be made to fit.

Thanks for the input. It sounds like the k-member/spacers had a very negative effect on the driving experience. This is not a daily but a street car first. Maybe the VMP 2.65 Gen 3/ Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 would allow me to reach my goals with less issues.

Last edited:

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Thanks for the input. It sounds like the k-member/spacers had a very negative effect on the driving experience. This is not a daily but a street car first. Maybe the VMP 2.65 Gen 3/ Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 would allow me to reach my goals with less issues.

Either the VMP 2.65 Or Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 will surely support 800rwhp on factory 5.8L or 1000rwhp on built/cammed/higher compression motor. So if that suits your goals just flip a coin or go with which looks better. I vote Whipple.

KENS96M6

Established Member
Either the VMP 2.65 Or Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 will surely support 800rwhp on factory 5.8L or 1000rwhp on built/cammed/higher compression motor. So if that suits your goals just flip a coin or go with which looks better. I vote Whipple.

Your Whipple does look great. I really like the new look. Motor is not in the car yet so I guess I have a little time to choose!

moncho

Established Member
Congrats! Good to see someone with this setup, up & running. Numbers wise it seems very impressive. How's the low end torque? How's the fitment in the rear of the crusher? I'll be running a 3" upper with a stock lower so I'm not going to get those numbers plus being @ altitude puts a damper on things as well. Received my 2.9 Gen 3 just lining up a few items before it goes in...

IMG_6222_Small.jpg

Cheers,
Ray

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Congrats! Good to see someone with this setup, up & running. Numbers wise it seems very impressive. How's the low end torque? How's the fitment in the rear of the crusher? I'll be running a 3" upper with a stock lower so I'm not going to get those numbers plus being @ altitude puts a damper on things as well. Received my 2.9 Gen 3 just lining up a few items before it goes in...

View attachment 1468061

Cheers,
Ray

No issues on fitment. The tq curve is elevated over prior Gen 2 at all rpm points. Even w my 3.31 gears it’s overpowering the 305/35/20 Nitto DRs from low rpm 2nd Gear roll and the car feels much lighter as a result. Gen 3 also has a more noticeable blower whine which sounds great while not being obnoxious. I’m 100% pleased all the way around. May do an E85 tune in the Fall just concerned about the power level getting too hot for the stock rods.

moncho

Established Member
No issues on fitment. The tq curve is elevated over prior Gen 2 at all rpm points. Even w my 3.31 gears it’s overpowering the 305/35/20 Nitto DRs from low rpm 2nd Gear roll and the car feels much lighter as a result. Gen 3 also has a more noticeable blower whine which sounds great while not being obnoxious. I’m 100% pleased all the way around. May do an E85 tune in the Fall just concerned about the power level getting too hot for the stock rods.

Going E85 would take it to the next level, however like you said the lower than becomes more of a concern. There are some real nice options when it comes to either enhancing your block or replacing it entirely. Man this mod bug is bad...

Thanks for the feedback!

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Going E85 would take it to the next level, however like you said the lower than becomes more of a concern. There are some real nice options when it comes to either enhancing your block or replacing it entirely. Man this mod bug is bad...

Thanks for the feedback!

No problem. I’ve come to the realization that not only is the peak power but also the area under the curve is far too much for my current chassis/tire combo to handle on the street so that has cured my power mod fever. Once I address the traction issue I may do that E85 tune and cross my fingers until I’ve got $20k for a legit built shortblock/Cams/Ported Heads, etc. Currently the marginal addtl pwr that would add for my 100% streetcar does not justify the $$$.

moncho

Established Member
There are huge benefits going to E85, it's not always a power thing. It would certainly keep you safe as far as detonation goes. Just need a tuner that's versed in dialing it in for both hot & cold weather. I've got access to E85 so at some point it's the direction I'll go.

Cheers!

Streetpwr281

Established Member
There are huge benefits going to E85, it's not always a power thing. It would certainly keep you safe as far as detonation goes. Just need a tuner that's versed in dialing it in for both hot & cold weather. I've got access to E85 so at some point it's the direction I'll go.

Cheers!

Good points. Once I solve the traction issue I may still do the E85 tune and allow my tuner to continue his conservative approach so its as safe as possible.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good idea. Even at same power level it’s safer on E85. Only negatives are availability and fuel system requirements
-J

Users who are viewing this thread