Whipple 2.9 vs. 2.3???

trakit

Established Member
Anyone running the 2.9L Whipple on their 5.0? What are the advantages/disadvantages over the 2.3L? If you do not plan to run a built motor is it worth the extra cost??

Flaco1

Established Member
I don't think there is ever enough horsepower. But I went with the 2.9 Whipple and love the instead torque. Can't my foot out of it. Even though it's not my daily driver i have fun driving it every chance I get. Now I'm setting plans on going built.

trakit

Established Member
I don't think there is ever enough horsepower. But I went with the 2.9 Whipple and love the instead torque. Can't my foot out of it. Even though it's not my daily driver i have fun driving it every chance I get. Now I'm setting plans on going built.[/QUOTE

So you bought the 2.9L blower and had someone custom tune it?

Flaco1

Established Member
Yes got the the 2.9 Whipple and tried getting a custom tune here locally but turned they couldn't tune the drivability part right after being in there shop for a month. So I got an email tune from Jon Lund and has been driving good since. I still haven't dyno it yet since Jon Lund tune. But plan to here pretty soon before I go built.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I think the only way a 2.9 will outshine a 2.3 is at really high boost levels. So, that being said, if you don't want to build your motor, you should probably not push either to really high boost levels. So, no......lol

corepwn

Established Member
Either blower is capable of producing more power and boost than your stock motor can handle. If you don't want to build your motor, the 2.3 is likely operating in a more efficient zone.

alex12gt

Established Member
if your not building a motor and dont plant on it 2.3 is fine but im finding out if i go to 9.5:1 comp ration i may need to switch to a 2.9 to get the power level i want

RI_2011_GT

Established Member
if your not building a motor and dont plant on it 2.3 is fine but im finding out if i go to 9.5:1 comp ration i may need to switch to a 2.9 to get the power level i want

The 2.9 is more efficient above 10 psi. I believe one of the magazines did a test. You are going to need more boost for same power you were making with the 11:1 compression.

Users who are viewing this thread