Whipple 2.9L Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfadchi

Established Member
First things first buy yourself a new Whipple 2.9L blower package from Lethal Performance!

:banana:

Removal Of Stock Blower

Step 1: Disconnect Battery and Remove Cold Air Intake

CIMG0010.jpg

Step 2: Remove Throttle Body

Just four 8mm screws that hold it on. Remove both electrical connections.
CIMG0012.jpg

Step 3: Remove Plenum From Stock Blower

The fittings on the back are quick connect. Just push on the little tab and they slide right off. There are four 8mm screws that hold it to the blower.
CIMG0013.jpg

Step 4: Remove EGR

There is a large 1 1/16 line coming into the EGR from behind. Disconnect that and then the bolts holding it to the SuperCharger.
CIMG0016.jpg

Step 5: Remove Fuel Rails & Injectors

There are 4 8mm bolts that hold them on just remove them, unplug the fuel pressure sensor and they pull right out. The fuel line is a quick connect. Mine had a little fuel in it so I wrapped it in a SHAM WOW and put it aside. Remember NO SMOKING while your working!
CIMG0023.jpg

Step 5: Remove The Supercharger Belt

I don't have a picture but it's easy. Remove the coolant overflow tank on from the left side of the engine bay (facing the car) and pull it aside. I use a torque wrench with a 1/2 adapter and small extension to sick in the pulley tensioner. Just slide the belt off and tuck it away up top to away the new blower.

Step 6: Remove the blower

Remove the 10 10mm bolts from the blower and it should just pull right up.
CIMG0025.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS! Your stock blower is off, now it's time to bolt on some power! :beer:

Last edited:

sfadchi

Established Member
Installing the Whipple 2.9L Blower

Here is a pic of the back of the blower. Mine did not come with the fittings in but I have talk to a couple of people who's came installed. When I put the fittings in I coated the threads with a little bit of RTV Black Silicone

CIMG0032.jpg

Step 1: Replace EGR Line

Remove your batter box and the line is very easy to get to. Reinstall the new line Whipple has give you. The nut on the header was very tight so I sprayed it with some PB Blaster and waited about 5 mins and it came right off. Double and triple check that the line is pulled away from the wiring harness. The EGR is extremely hot and will melt your harness.

CIMG0046.jpg

Step 2: Install Rear Bolts

Install the two rear most blower bolts. In the pictures I have the wrong ones put in, make sure you put the two they give you that have threads all the way up. Install them and leave about an inch of thread showing so the blower plate will slip under them. As you can see I also extend the line behind the blower that will attach to the new blower

CIMG0031.jpg

Step 3: Silicone The Bolts

You want to put a rather large glob of RTV black silicone on each of the resesed bolts that hold the blower to the plate. These bolts are directly lined up with the rubber gasket on the intake manifold, so if you don't silicone them you will have a serious boost leak.

CIMG0033.jpg

Step 4: Silicone the Intake Manifold.

I put a bead of RTV on the inside of the black rubber gasket and on the outside, just to make sure no leaks.

CIMG0031.jpg

Step 5: Install the blower

It helps if you have someone to help you cause the blower is kinda heavy, however I did install it alone. As your sliding it back make sure to connect the line in the back to the barbed fitting. Make sure you slide it under the two back bolts and line up the front. I went ahead and put the front two bolts in hand tight just to lock it into place. Get on the bolts on and threaded hand tight. Starting from the middle two bolts torque them two 25FTLBS working your way out criss crossing. When you get to the back driver side bolt, it becomes tricky. I laod on top of the blower and stick your right hand under the blower where the fuel rail would go with a 10MM ratcheting wrench. I then placed my left hand around the back side of the blower to feel for the bolt. I could not hold the bolt but I could feel where it was. Now if you left the space just right it will have enough pressure on it you can ratchet it. If not you will need to turn it a couple of times with the wrench until it can ratchet. I tightened it up real good probably even more than 25LBS. I let the RTV dry overnight. Some say it's not necessary and will dry allot faster than that, I did it just to be safe. Also you can go ahead and fill the blower with the supplied oil. The oil should reach about the middle of the fill window.

CIMG0039.jpg

Step 6: Fuel Rails

These are tricky because of the new inlet. Whipple has provide you with a new bolt for the back driver side fuel rail. I put the passenger side on first which is easy, then I did the driver side. On the driver side you will need to pull the back fuel injector out and place it in the hole, but not all the way and not straight up. Just barely put it in and lean it towards the front of the car. Then place the fuel rail on it and slide it back into place. Use the new bolt on the back one and the stock bolts on the rest.

CIMG0040.jpg

Step 7: Install the EGR Valve

I got the line threaded first and make sure the header side is still loose. Then bolt the EGR on. After you have it secure, tighten up the line on both sides. I also used RTV on the EGR adaptor that bolts to the supercharger, and used the stock metal gasket between the EGR and the adaptor. Plug in the vacuum lines, Whipple has supplied you with a plug that blocks off the long line coming that used to go around to the stock bypass actuator.

CIMG0043.jpg

CIMG0046.jpg

Step 8: Install the Belt

I'm using the stock pulley which is a 3.25, you will not think it's going to work but let me tell you the best way to do it. Slide the belt off the idler that's just down and to the left of the supercharger. Then with the idler completely back put it on the supercharger and slide it back onto the idler. The supercharger is ribbed which will stop you from putting it on without sliding it off the idler first.

CIMG0040-3.jpg

Step 9: Installing your throttle body.

The 2.9L does not have an O-ring like the stock plenum does. So make sure you trim the plenum on the Whipple with a thin bead of RTV before installing your throttle body.

Step 10: Install your CAI Back!

Step 11: Reinstall your battery

Step 12: Upload your tune!

YOUR DONE, GO HAVE SOME FUN!!!

Last edited:

sfadchi

Established Member
It took me about four hours for the removal and installation the first time. If I had this write up and would have known about the RTV around the intake I would not have had to find out that it only takes me an hour and a half to pull it off and put it on now. If you're doing the install read this carefully and feel free to ask me any questions it should not take you that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread