whipple cobra vs. 80mm single turbo supra

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
I raced my buddy tonite in his 97 supra, I was in my solid axle/whipple cobra. He was on about 26 psi with an 80mm turbo vs. me makin 22 psi with my whipple 2.3. The main difference was he was on race fuel and I was on my street tune with 93 octane. We ran from a 2nd gear roll, and I waited for his horn to honk 3 times. Thats the last time I do that tho. I could barely hear it with my exhaust and with him in front of me, I gave him a carlength since he wanted it.

I jumped on him right away tho but then he reeled me in. We were side by side the entire time. Then once I was toppin out 4th gear he was startin to pull on me by a nose so I shut down rather then try and shift into fifth. I know during that shift he would have passed me real good. Rex from B&T motorsports was in the chase car with my buddy Gabe drivin, they got it on film but Im waitin for that to get uploaded so I can post it.

Im not gonna make excuses for losing however, I was on pump gas on my street tune. If I had thrown sum torco in and switched to my race tune I would have been around 630/660 but I only makin about 605/625. I think he was right around 650 to the wheels at the boost level he was at. Im sure he had fun breakin in his new M&H drag radials that he installed TODAY too. My BFG'S have about 5k on them and are due to be replaced this week. Maybe I should have waited for new tires and used my race tune in retrospect. So Im gonna run him again later this week when I get the new BFG's on there , plus Im gonna use my better tune. I also wanna be able to build up my RPM's next time to since I wasnt where I wanted to be when we rolled off. He did agree that next race he's not gonna ask for a car length. So it should be a damn good race once again. It was by far the best competition I have come against yet. I'll get the vid up as soon as I get it. Any feedback is welcome.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Whizzle said:
80mm + 26 psi = 650

something doesnt really add up

Yes I know, his car is way short. He has a few boost leaks but they think theres sumthin else. Plus he has a very rough tune on it now. Its goin back to Peter Farrel supercars next week to get finished up. It was in the shop for 5 months and he was itchin to get it back. So its not totally done yet. Its safe to drive tho. He did a practice run and data logged it b4 I got there . He compared it to his data from the dyno pulls and felt it was runnin good enough for a run. When its done right it should make 775 or so on 30 psi so ya 650ish on 26 psi is way low no doubt. Ya the vid is a chase vid taken at night but still turned out really well. I watched it once right after and its hard to tell who won from the vid, cant wait to get it up.

Common

Established Member
und3rgr0undk1ng said:
Yes I know, his car is way short. He has a few boost leaks but they think theres sumthin else. Plus he has a very rough tune on it now. Its goin back to Peter Farrel supercars next week to get finished up. It was in the shop for 5 months and he was itchin to get it back. So its not totally done yet. Its safe to drive tho. He did a practice run and data logged it b4 I got there . He compared it to his data from the dyno pulls and felt it was runnin good enough for a run. When its done right it should make 775 or so on 30 psi so ya 650ish on 26 psi is way low no doubt. Ya the vid is a chase vid taken at night but still turned out really well. I watched it once right after and its hard to tell who won from the vid, cant wait to get it up.

IF you have the money......supra owns most cobras...otherwise Id take OPs cobra over a supra ANYDAY.....good races..

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
stroker22 said:
IF you have the money......supra owns most cobras...otherwise Id take OPs cobra over a supra ANYDAY.....good races..

True if your talkin blown cobras, but turbo cobras makin over 20 psi are gonna own most supras up till about 150 or so. Thats inline 6 just cant get that big ass turbo spooled up fast enough without cams. A stroked supra is a different story tho but those are rare. I'll take a 40k built turbo cobra over a 60k built supra almost any day personally. Nothing like the sound of a nasty v8 in harmony with the turbo spool. Purse sex........I need a tissue now
:kaboom:

sikklightning04 said:
Nos Time!

I have the spray already , I just havent had it installed yet. I wanna wait till I put the turbo on which should be within the next 3-4 weeks. If I get the THP kit then I wont need the spray but if I go Hellion Im gonna need all the extra power I can get. Either way its gonna be fun once his Supra is up to par tuning wise and I have the turbo. Talk about sum nice video ops.:pepper:

Wild Bill

Established Member
Well I dont see how you lost if you said you were neck and neck with him getting a full car head start.He should race again starting side by side.
I run into that a lot around here.You are trying to do a 3 honk and the suck at brake boosting and end up starting out a car length in front of you by the 3rd honk.The last time I raced a single turbo supra on the 215 here in vegas same thing happened.He pulled up to me and down shifted to about 60mph so I signaled the 3 honk,threw it in 2nd then honked off 3.By the 3rd honk dude was already a car out when I hit it.I dont feel that bad though as the guy has a single turbo 600+rwp and has to cheat and start out a car ahead just to beat a 500rwp cobra by a 1 1/2 cars by 140mph.Sad really! Imagine If the guy even tried me from a stop or a slow street start.I would prob be stopped at the next light by the time he caught up.
I have told myself the next guy that tries to get a head start I will jump on the 1st or 2nd honk,then shut down at the top of 4th for the win!

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
I lost cuz I was over 6k rpm's in 4th like I mentioned b4,with him just startin to pull slightly. He was nowhere near ready to shift and I was, as I put the clutch in I could feel him pullin ahead so I let off. Im not gonna make as much power in 5th as I am in 4th so why risk trashin my car at that point.

His reason for wantin a car length is cuz he said he didnt build much boost down low , he wanted a 3rd gear roll, I said now way ! I have to admit tho , my RPM's werent as high as they should have been in 2nd when he honked. Im sure he honked when he had his RPM's perfect tho but thats racing. I'll get him later this week, this time it will be a day race with the footage comin from the side of the road or in car as opposed to a chase vid. Im not givin up any car lengths and Im gonna be doin the 3 honks this time. No way Im losin another bill either lol

fivepointno

Established Member
wow you put money on it and gave him a car lol just race him from a dig and make all your money back lol

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Ya tell me about it, I shouldnt have given him a car. Its the first roll race I have ever done or heard of that involved a car length. But I guess I wanted to prove a point to him which I did . A 50k supra isnt that much faster then a 30k cobra now is it. I'll get em next time and triple my money...

rk_2000_Z/28

LS1 to SVT
Established Member
Sucks you lost man! But with that solid axle swap you need to get them DRs on and tell him you want to go from a dig to 130 and smash his ass!

FEARSM

Established Member
und3rgr0undk1ng said:

Nice run. His car most be roughly tuned with those numbers. An 80mm turbo is capable of mid 600 rwhp on pump and well into the 900 range on race gas. He can easily push 40 psi and still be in the efficiency range of the turbo.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Ya his car was done by PFsupercars in MD and they took foreverrrrrr to finish it. Ray tuned it but seems to have cut some corners on it seeing as it wasnt really ready to leave the shop. He made 685 on 30 psi I think. He should have made closer to 750-785 for sure. I just learned earlier today tho that he actually fixed the leaks so he was makin closer to 700 last night when we raced. He failed to mention that to me tho or I would have never agreed to give him a car length. Sall good tho. Im pickin up sum bogarts with sum hooosiers mounted tommorow so I'll run him on those with my race tune , no head start and then we'll see what happens. I dont plan on havin to visit the ATM this time , lets leave it at that. Turbo setup coming soon.....

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Add a little spray and some 15-inch DRS, and then race him from a dig!:-D

RixSikcobra04

Sounded like a fun race:coolman: . Supras are no joke(as we all know). Throw that jug on that badboy and give a him a real run for his money.

1. show the vid:burnout: ...2. let us know how that ride of yours likes the juice/Whipple combo(numbers please...my Snake FN loved the spray on the ported Eaton).:rockon:

ur lozin

Established Member
I saw the vid on supraforums.com. Good run man, Should be really, really close when you race again on your race tune. I can't wait for that.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I hate to say this, but be careful running 22lbs on 93 that is just too much for pump and just asking for engine problems. I'd hate to see your turbo build get side tracked by engine failure. Also I don't see many guys making more rwtq then rwhp. Is your motor stock or are you running a Stroked/Big Bore application? What dyno were those numbers recorded on?

Also did this supra have a built motor or a stock motor with upgraded turbos? Supras are very stout cars as we all know.

Good run! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread