Whipple Lightning vs H/C CTS-V

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The fact that a truck hang with a car like that blows my mind. Always have and always will love the Lightnings.

I owned a Lightning and loved every minute of it but once people start getting these Coyote F150's and EcoBoost trucks built its going to be over for the old L. Still though the Lightning is a performance icon and will always be loved by the blue oval fans for the sheer insanity that it was when it debuted.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I owned a Lightning and loved every minute of it but once people start getting these Coyote F150's and EcoBoost trucks built its going to be over for the old L. Still though the Lightning is a performance icon and will always be loved by the blue oval fans for the sheer insanity that it was when it debuted.

Regardless, the L will always look and sound better.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member

Attachments

• 20150719_075612_20150726115644145_20150728100933107.jpg
    20150719_075612_20150726115644145_20150728100933107.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
Love fast trucks! As someone already pointed out, today's 5.0 and EB F150s are already putting down some stout numbers and is starting to phase out the Lightning, but man, you cannot deny that it has been a strong runner for many years.

My current set up puts my truck in to the high 11s, and it's a 4 door 4x4. The regular cab F150s are pretty damn fast these days, getting in to the 10s with a similar set up as mine, just without the weight.

I still have a lot of respect for the Lightning though. I wish Ford would do it again, and do it right, because I would be all over it.

Extremite

Established Member
Love fast trucks! As someone already pointed out, today's 5.0 and EB F150s are already putting down some stout numbers and is starting to phase out the Lightning, but man, you cannot deny that it has been a strong runner for many years.

My current set up puts my truck in to the high 11s, and it's a 4 door 4x4. The regular cab F150s are pretty damn fast these days, getting in to the 10s with a similar set up as mine, just without the weight.

I still have a lot of respect for the Lightning though. I wish Ford would do it again, and do it right, because I would be all over it.

Trinity powered Lightning, maybe? =D

Troponin

Established Member
Trinity powered Lightning, maybe? =D

With a good supporting transmission and differential, that would def have pretty good results. I would love to see, at least, 600hp (crank).

When I was in the market for a new truck, I was so sad to find out that the sport truck class was no longer a thing. The SRT-8 JGC and ROUSH F150 are pretty much the only options right now. So, I just bought the F150 and supercharged it for less money than the ROUSH would have cost me.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Not knowing the upper/lower pulley size or cam specs I'm sure its making 630rwhp minimum. That L did well!!
Id have to agree with you there. I made a little over 600 on pump gas. Some time slips and weight from that truck will tell the tail.

i like the power the new coyote trucks make. I only get jealous of the interiors. My truck is so out dated on the inside. However the price to get 700+ from a 5.0 is out of reach for my bank account. Plus id have to be crazy to try to make another truck fast. A blown 5.0 mustang will walk it all day and twice on Sunday.

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
Id have to agree with you there. I made a little over 600 on pump gas. Some time slips and weight from that truck will tell the tail.

i like the power the new coyote trucks make. I only get jealous of the interiors. My truck is so out dated on the inside. However the price to get 700+ from a 5.0 is out of reach for my bank account. Plus id have to be crazy to try to make another truck fast. A blown 5.0 mustang will walk it all day and twice on Sunday.

My costs total about $7,500, if you were curious. That includes labor as well. It ran a little more than the Mustang because more modifications were necessary. This set up is good for about 550-600whp, I believe. If you want 700whp, I would assume you need to go E85 and larger injectors.

My truck is my DD, so I don't really need it to walk my weekend cruiser. Before this, I had a diesel that was tuned and deleted. The suspension in the F150 was a very welcome feeling, as well as having the extra room in the back. At 6'2", I can sit in my back seat and can actually stretch out with two large adults sitting in the front seats. Ford nailed it on this truck. Way more roomy and comfy than my wife's Yukon and my 2011 GMC.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I beg to differ.......
Not that your example looks bad but the Lightning has a more of a sporty, aggressive look. Short and wide flare profile. Single cab, short bed with the retro side steps and side exhaust. It was just a cool truck that was completely useless for anything other than whooping ass and surprising people.

Users who are viewing this thread