Whipple orange/red oil

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
So I went to clean my sight glass on my Whipple 2.3 2nd gen and the oil was like a rusty red orange color? Anyone ever run into this? Smells really bad also.

Thanks
Dave

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
No that is not normal, at least nothing I've ever seen. Sounds like moisture has somehow been introduced?

I run the gm (ac delco) supercharger oil and it has worked great. I also swapped over to a whipple high boost carbon fiber coupler back in 2013 (the original coupler looked fine but I figured why not since I was changing the oil and there were reports of 2.3 gen2 couplers cracking at the time).

This 2.3 gen 2 has a build date around 2007 and it's been spinning pretty much 22psi the entire time (14 yrs) Just drove her a few days and absolutely ripped like always

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I did the swap about ten years ago, so I'm guessing the Whipple is around 10 or 11 years old. I've rebuilt the snout in the past because the hollow snout bolt snapped, I just wanted to make sure the snout was okay. All I can think of is that the oil got really hot. Maybe the hollow screw got plugged then the oil got too hot? It turns fine no rough spots and heat exchanger coolant looks to be all good and at normal levels. I moved to Florida recently also.

Users who are viewing this thread