Whipple + stock trans

cyclegrip

Established Member
vy7u3u7e.jpg

Ugh

Now my question is, should I get it rebuilt or go with a reman? Or go bigger? I have all winter to think about it now

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would be looking at a T56 Magnum with your output.

756 hp on 18 lbs of boost :eek: That's like 100 hp more than most.

What caused the tranny to go south?

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
wow glad im not the only one in this boat. But here's my options for what it's worth.
-all syncrhos shot
-2nd/3rd/6th gears need replaced
-Regular upgrade stuff billet keys, seals bearings etc...
Option A:
I rebuild it and learn the anatomy of a t-56 and Parts alone are 1500$ Total w/ new 26 Spline........................................................$1500 Completely New Trans
Option B:
Have a Reputable shop Rebuild it and quick turnaround.....................$3,040
Option C:
Call Don Walsh @ D&D. ( great guy I think) Magnum T-56 With new 31 spline Yoke ..........................$3140 To my Warehouse. Home another 80-100$ Also add the cost of Having the Stock Driveshaft cut rewelded and balanced unless you buy D&D's driveshaft.
I'm going with Option A:
Reasoning I have all winter a garage to do it in and a press and i know how to read. All in how much patience you have. But If you have the $ go with that magnum. Hope what I'm going through helps your decision making??? I just went through this 2 Months ago. Good luck

cyclegrip

Established Member
I think that when I got it the trans was low on fluid, might have cooked the gears when I did 160. I'm not totally sure because I've never launched it

And that does help, I've looked into a magnum and I do have all winter long, I may go that route cause I want to put the smaller pulley on with a snow kit and see where that gets me

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
That looks familiar. Just had mine out for the same thing. I already had a lot of the little upgrades, but had to replace the cluster and the input shaft as mine looked a lot like your mess. If I didn't already have all of the other pieces/parts I would have gone Magnum for sure.

cyclegrip

Established Member
Heres what I've been able to gather since I didn't build the car and the guy I bought it from just took it to a shop and had them build it
3.4 whipple with aftermarket throttle body with custom no slip 3.25 race pulley
4 position fuel rails? with dual gt pumps
can't find injectors anywhere
ram street dual 2 clutch
underdrive pulley
sct big mass air, i can look later at the specifics of it

dyno tuned in Vermont where I bought it, they are sending me the dyno sheet told me 638whp and 540wtq

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I am surprised you guys are destroying the T56 internals.
I probably beat on mine at lot more than most.
So far I have only had to replace the counter shaft and shift rod.
The counter shaft was blue from heat. Heavy car with lots of tq will do that.
Other wise the shop said every else looked good including the syncos.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
What did you wind up going with? I still need to buy new gears and all synchros. Just have completed a up to date build sheet. Plus i need 1500$ which i don't have YET. lol

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
What did you wind up going with? I still need to buy new gears and all synchros. Just have completed a up to date build sheet. Plus i need 1500$ which i don't have YET. lol

You guys in Md must be rougher on transmissions than us in Florida! LOL!
BTW: I ran a 1.36 60' yesterday!!! New best!

cyclegrip

Established Member
Haven't gone with anything, car is sitting covered up for the winter while I save up ha, probably gonna go with a magnum

Users who are viewing this thread