Whirl in drivetrain - Plz take a look

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
Whir sound in drivetrain - Rear End - Plz take a look

Help!!! Since I can't search for this right now, I decided to post a question.

About two days ago, I started to noticed a "whirl" sound coming from somewhere in the drivetrain. When I press in the clutch, it goes away, when I coast in gear, it is the worst....Sounds like it might be coming from the rear end. Looks like a trip to the dealer, but I need to get an idea what it is, so I can stay on top of the service department.

HELP!!!

SVT_SNK

Last edited:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Like a Whah Whah Whah sound? I have the same sound in my 400 mile totally stock 03 Cobra....coming from the rear end....not there all the time.....but I think I know what you are saying...nothing really loud.....but you hear it.....I thought maybe it was something to do with the universal joints or something.

Good question...

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT_SNK
Help!!! Since I can't search for this right now, I decided to post a question.

About two days ago, I started to noticed a "whirl" sound coming from somewhere in the drivetrain. When I press in the clutch, it goes away, when I coast in gear, it is the worst....Sounds like it might be coming from the rear end. Looks like a trip to the dealer, but I need to get an idea what it is, so I can stay on top of the service department.

HELP!!!

SVT_SNK

When you go to the dealer have a tech go for a road test with you, He should verify the noise with the service mgr. for you. It sounds like it is in the rear end, pinion angle is off or whatever.

Dave

Last edited:

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
Originally posted by HotRodHarry
Like a Whah Whah Whah sound? I have the same sound in my 400 mile totally stock 03 Cobra....coming from the rear end....not there all the time.....but I think I know what you are saying...nothing really loud.....but you hear it.....I thought maybe it was something to do with the universal joints or something.

Good question...

Unfortunatley this sound has just appeared. I have had a very quiet drive train until this week.

It is not like a WHAH WHAH...more like low vibe WHIR WHIR WHIR whenever it is in gear...any gear...but goes away when clutch is in or out of gear and coasting....

SVT_SNK

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr
bad ring and pinion....
bad pinion bearings...

not all that common.... but....... it does happen.
should be covered no problem
Jimmy:thumbsup:

Yes it does happen to me.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread