"white letters on tires"

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Why? Then again...people still put chrome on the fenders :nono:

BillsSnake

It would be kinda Nascar like. This was debated a year or so ago and it was 50-50 yes - no I used to do this to my 55 Ford in High School so I lean towards it. I believe that Autozone or PepBoys sells the pens in different colors. If it floats your boat DOIT

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
You can buy a tire marking pen from an auto parts store or JC Whitney. It's really more like a crayon or grease pencil. I usually keep the letters on my slicks bright white with one so I can watch for tire spin on videos when trying to dial in a suspension setup. It would take frequent reapplication on street tires though so plan on spending a lot of time doing it. I've always been partial to white lettered tires but I think a lot of us who grew up in the muscle car era are going to like them more than the young pups. If you are running F-1's they will be worn out soon anyway so I'd just wait until it's about time to replace them and then do it. If you like it and it doesn't seen too time consuming to maintain go for it with the next set. Oh and post up pics, I want to see it!

Matt

UPCGuy1030

2002 L & 2011 GT500
Established Member
Lots of tires come with white lettering, if you go to discount tire and ask them. They will tell you that some tires have white lettering on one side of the tire and black lettering on the other. Not all tires have it like that, but lots of the ones I have seen do. That way you can choose to either show white lettering or just have it black lettering without having to go buy a whole different set of tires. I'm not sure which brands of tires do this but any discount tire or ntb will tell you which ones do this.

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
i did the letters on my dunlop tires on my rc-51 in yellow with a paint pen. worked good and held up for a while. it would require re-touching every now and again if you do it. any paint pen would work i suppose. the one i got was from lockhart phillips but it reminded me of an old testors model paint pen. however i think it would look like arse on a lightning.

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
I think it gives it an old school look. I don't think it looks bad on this truck.

attachment.php

Last edited:

BillsSnake

I, personally, have fond memories of painting the raised letters on my tires white when I was a member of the SLICKS in High School -- but that was 1960-61..............I may just do it again:dancenana:

speedfreek88

-Skinny Pimp Racing-
Established Member
earlier today i saw a orange mach 1 in pics and video showing off a little... he had blackwall street tires on the front and low profile hoosiers with white lettering on back. looked killer! i dunno if i could say the same about regular tires tho...

Users who are viewing this thread