White smoke at idle..... Coolant leak

jgt58

Established Member
So after I just got my oil cooler fixed I have developed a new issue. White smoke coming from the exhaust even after warm. Its a thin white smoke. I have checked the oil its not milky. Also took off overflow cap off and no bulbling. I'm fixing to start tearing down the intake to put in my into deletes as I'm also throwing a code for the imrcs stuck closed. Could this also be an possible bad intake gasket or imrc gaskets?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
Any updates??

I too have thin white smoke at initial idle, and it smells rich too.

I've been told it's because my O/R xpipe, but I don't buy that completely. I understand the logic, but think it's something else...

Let us know what you find.
25550328_10155950927888523_6688430584688477291_n.jpg

jgt58

Established Member
Nope haven't even started it yet. Sitting in the same place. We got in our wrx wheels for the impreza. I worked on it for about an hour. Been working at work a lot. Going to tear into the cobra Tuesday. I'm going to try to save the imrcs as that's what the car was designed to have. But we will see.
eccabec52819790bba6713415b2d90df.jpg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You don't need to start it. Pop the hood and pull the plug wires, one at a time, and look for oil in the end of the boot.

omj

Established Member
Generally speaking, white smoke only comes from the headgaskets, which rarely ever leak. It could be a related to the oil cooler r&r, so monitor your coolant levels for a while. There is no way an intake gasket can cause coolant smoking since no water runs through the intake. It might cause a rich condition if it is leaking. You can datalog and see this easily. Your trims will be maxing out at idle and decreasing as throttle opens. Leaking valvecover gaskets will never cause smoke--the plug seals the oil out of the head. I always delete the IMRCs and add timing to compensate for the loss of low end. If you bought a mail order tune that is probably the source of your rich smell. Bama is the worst, followed by Amazon. They are usually way off and will run rich because they are scared of leaning out so they add way too much fuel

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I always delete the IMRCs and add timing to compensate for the loss of low end.

This!
I've been trying to convince him to delete those p.o.s. IMRCs before they end up shitting the bed anyway. He's got 4.10s already too.

jgt58

Established Member
Generally speaking, white smoke only comes from the headgaskets, which rarely ever leak. It could be a related to the oil cooler r&r, so monitor your coolant levels for a while. There is no way an intake gasket can cause coolant smoking since no water runs through the intake. It might cause a rich condition if it is leaking. You can datalog and see this easily. Your trims will be maxing out at idle and decreasing as throttle opens. Leaking valvecover gaskets will never cause smoke--the plug seals the oil out of the head. I always delete the IMRCs and add timing to compensate for the loss of low end. If you bought a mail order tune that is probably the source of your rich smell. Bama is the worst, followed by Amazon. They are usually way off and will run rich because they are scared of leaning out so they add way too much fuel
Yes I hooked up my x4 and my trims max out at idle and fall under rpm. I have a Bama tune for when I install the imrc deletes and also to turn off the sai and egr as they are coming out. Throwing imrc codes as of today.

Got all new imrc gaskets ( upper and lower ) , intake gaskets , and also used and cleaned ford injectors that are flow matched. If I do have a intake leak it should take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread