White smoke on wot

SLPCobra

Established Member
Got a Question about when I get in wot what could cause the white smoke?
Assuming its oil being burned bad.
It's been doing it for awhile but haven't really thought about asking about it till now.
Could it be because I still have the tube connecting the pcv to the intake?
Or is it just something that happens from higher mileage and/or abuse?

Also I have longtubes, offroad xpipe, and lm1s so could it also be because I have no cats on the car that could be the reason I see so much smoke?

Any help is appreciated thanks :beer:

SLPCobra

Established Member
Also forgot to put that sometimes when first started it burns oil too.
not all the time but sometimes

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Also forgot to put that sometimes when first started it burns oil too.
not all the time but sometimes

This is usually a sign that your valve seals are leaking - oil sits in the heads after shutdown and seeps past the seals into the cylinders and is burned on startup. Is the smoke def white or does it have a bluish tinge to it?

Warm up the car to operating temp and take a measurement of your oil and coolant and then go for a long drive and then take a measurement before you shut it off and see if you are down on any fluids.

Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and if so, what are the readings you are getting?

SLPCobra

Established Member
This is usually a sign that your valve seals are leaking - oil sits in the heads after shutdown and seeps past the seals into the cylinders and is burned on startup. Is the smoke def white or does it have a bluish tinge to it?

Warm up the car to operating temp and take a measurement of your oil and coolant and then go for a long drive and then take a measurement before you shut it off and see if you are down on any fluids.

Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and if so, what are the readings you are getting?

Alright I'll try that also when I get back. :rolling:
I kinda wondered if it was a valve problem or not.:bash:
I've never really had a chance to see it but I can smell the oil burning smell when it starts up from wind blowing it into the garage.
Unfortunately I don't have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge :/

Appreciate all the info :beer:

SLPCobra

Established Member
Alright thanks I wasn't completely sure on what straight white smoke was :beer:
Ik they're has to be some oil being burnt cause I can smell it usually when the smoke comes through the garage on startup. But I'm not sure on wot cause I've never been behind my car when that's going on I'm always driving lol.
But I'm gonna ask some friends of mine when I get back either if they remember an oil smell and bluish tint or if they can ride behind me when I go wot to tell what it is.

pbeechner

Established Member
Alright thanks I wasn't completely sure on what straight white smoke was :beer:
Ik they're has to be some oil being burnt cause I can smell it usually when the smoke comes through the garage on startup. But I'm not sure on wot cause I've never been behind my car when that's going on I'm always driving lol.
But I'm gonna ask some friends of mine when I get back either if they remember an oil smell and bluish tint or if they can ride behind me when I go wot to tell what it is.

Yeah, what color is the smoke when you start it up? I get a tiny puff of blue smoke on startup from my 635 and I know my head is leaking a tiny bit, but it does have almost 250,000 miles :)

SLPCobra

Established Member
Yeah, all my experience with white smoke has been with coolant.....

Hope it's not for you!

Yeah I'm really hoping its nothing serious but it would suprise me if theyre is something wrong with the engine in some way. Im fairly certain the guy I bought it from abused the car all the time and on big ugly heavy 20s :nonono:
So it wouldnt suprise me one bit if it was starting to show signs of being worn out.

SLPCobra

Established Member
Yeah, what color is the smoke when you start it up? I get a tiny puff of blue smoke on startup from my 635 and I know my head is leaking a tiny bit, but it does have almost 250,000 miles :)

I get a tiny puff of smoke too again not real sure of the color cause I never get a chance to be behind it. Everyone says its white but ik I'm smelling an oil burning smell in it so I'm assuming its a bluish tint too.

Hey that's not to bad for 250,000 miles things could be a lot worse than that sounds like its still running pretty good. :beer:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Make sure also you don't have any oil leaks coming from under the hood, like from the timing cover, valve cover, etc. While you're under there, also check the PCV valve as they can become clogged and since the oil has to get out from somewhere, it will leak past the grommet and either burn off the valve cover or drip down and hit the exhaust manifold.

Also, like I mentioned before, check your oil pressure and make sure it isn't excessive - if it is, oil could be getting pushed past oil seals and leaking out and getting burnt.

I was filling my engine back up with oil after doing a oil and filter change and spilled oil all over the place and when I ran the engine it burnt white. Usually white smoke is coolant but blue smoke is always oil, but oil can still be white when it burns, but coolant will never be blue - kinda how a rectangle is a square but a square isn't a rectangle (or maybe the other way around? :lol1:) Blue smoke in particular is strongly indicative of valve seal leak from the oil being burnt in combustion, rather than burnt from hitting a hot engine, hot exhaust, etc.

SLPCobra

Established Member
Make sure also you don't have any oil leaks coming from under the hood, like from the timing cover, valve cover, etc. While you're under there, also check the PCV valve as they can become clogged and since the oil has to get out from somewhere, it will leak past the grommet and either burn off the valve cover or drip down and hit the exhaust manifold.

Also, like I mentioned before, check your oil pressure and make sure it isn't excessive - if it is, oil could be getting pushed past oil seals and leaking out and getting burnt.

I was filling my engine back up with oil after doing a oil and filter change and spilled oil all over the place and when I ran the engine it burnt white. Usually white smoke is coolant but blue smoke is always oil, but oil can still be white when it burns, but coolant will never be blue - kinda how a rectangle is a square but a square isn't a rectangle (or maybe the other way around? :lol1:) Blue smoke in particular is strongly indicative of valve seal leak from the oil being burnt in combustion, rather than burnt from hitting a hot engine, hot exhaust, etc.

Thanks for the info appreciate it. :beer:
Now that you mention I do notice oil on the tube that goes from the head to the intake from time to time when I'm under the hood.
Well i don't think I have any oil leaks though I haven't noticed any and everyone that's been behind me says it comes out the tailpipes and pretty thick to apparently at wot. And also at start up I notice a puff of smoke in the rear viewL sometimes can never tell if the bluish color is there but I can smell an oil burning smell. :nonono:

TRMach1

Established Member
My Mach used to do this quite a bit but only at start up, I heard that it was very common on 32v cars, now the car doesn't do it anymore maybe it was because the previous owner did not drive it at all and my car doesn't have many miles so it can't be because of high mileage but I also did change my oil to whatever shell uses, took it to get an oil change and it has not been doing it ever since but like I said I have really been driving compared to it being in the garage all the time like the previous owner had it.

SLPCobra

Established Member
My Mach used to do this quite a bit but only at start up, I heard that it was very common on 32v cars, now the car doesn't do it anymore maybe it was because the previous owner did not drive it at all and my car doesn't have many miles so it can't be because of high mileage but I also did change my oil to whatever shell uses, took it to get an oil change and it has not been doing it ever since but like I said I have really been driving compared to it being in the garage all the time like the previous owner had it.

Oh really?
Yeah I do notice it more for the start up problem at least when it's sitting for awhile.
I still don't know about the wot smoke though.

TRMach1

Established Member
Oh really?
Yeah I do notice it more for the start up problem at least when it's sitting for awhile.
I still don't know about the wot smoke though.

Yes, it used to do it at start up in the mornings when i would first turn it on not always but usually it did. It also did it after leaving it parked for a while then going to turn it on. I had asked the previous owner about it and he said he would notice it at wot but it's weird because I have never noticed it when I get on it, it was only when turning it on but like I said now it doesn't do it and this was just in April when I bought it so after a month of me owning it the smoke stopped so its been since like the middle of may that it has not done it.

Users who are viewing this thread