White Smoke???

Black Sleeper

Established Member
Now that the weather has warmed up I was abel to put the hammer down today when I left my Buddys house. He said he heard the SC whineing and maby the tires also? He said I left a cloud of whit smoke. When I dropped the hammer I was maby doing 30-40 and went to about 80-85. I dont think I felt the tires break loose which would make the white smoke. If i dropped the hammer at 30-40 would I be abel to smoke the tires like that? I dont think I could IDK. I checked the trans fluid looks Pink, Checked the Oil nice and black I need an oil change in another 300 miles. I wasnt in the trottel that long, not long enough to start smokeing the tires??? My L made 389 at the wheels and 496 Tork. What do you think? Is it possiabel I blew a head gasket? The truck Runs and drives like a champ! I dont know if it was the tires smokeing or maby something worse..?

Tavenner13

Sell me your L
Established Member
My '91 Dodge did the same thing. It was because I had a broken tranny fliud return line :bash:

White smoke everywhere and tranny fluid all down the side of the truck :nonono:

Black Sleeper

Established Member
jOhn i have a 2000 I dont know if the IC was ever replaced, WhiteBolt I didnt smell a thing no rubber or what ever else I was getting on the highway when the smoke happenedI didnt see it my friends saw the smoke when I was getting on to the highway

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
my truck is too a 2000 and i had white smoke a few weeks ago....it was weird cause it smoked one day then didnt smoke the next?????? turned out the intercooler had not been replaced and it was leaking into my engine.

take off your intake and see if there is coolant in the rubber elbow or tb. if there is it is the intercooler.

send a pm to RIDE THE, i think he works at ford and can do an oasis on your truck to see if the intercooler was upgraded...

hope you can find out what is wrong

Dan.

Black Sleeper

Established Member
yup checked under the hood. I dont see anything leeking. I looked at the oil and trans fluid, bolth looked normal. I will check the TB and elbow next.

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
Was it really a cloud of white smoke like you smoked your tires?

Sometimes some of us will get a clear white smoke that comes out of the exhaust...Not too much, but just enough to leave a little trail.

j0hn

Established Member
Yeah I'm willing to bet it's the intercooler thing. Check your fluid constantly for the next couple weeks or so.

Kinda sucks.. the swap isn't cheap at all. Took 1k out of me. =/

Black Sleeper

Established Member
How bad is it besides the price$$? What dose the leaky intercooler do to the motor? Besides make white smoke? Would it blow my motor, or just not work as good because the IC is not doing its job? I havent had time to take a look in the TB yet I will do that tomm. What should I look for besides the usual oil a lil Ic fluid i guess? It only happend 2 times that if noticed. once last month, and sat when I was leving my friends house. Do you think it is still leaking when Im not WOT, just a lil boost here and thare, normal driveing? Thanks for everybodys thoughts, help!!

Black Sleeper

Established Member
Also do I have to replace the whould thing or can I just replace the leaky IC part? I havent looked yet Im just trying to get a good idea of what i mite have to take care of.

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
the labor to do it was about 180 dollars, the kit ford sells is around 950 and that is if you get it for 10 percent over cost.

if it leaks you are getting coolant into the heads.

Black Sleeper

Established Member
well I pm RIDE THE tn for my oasis report he said he will get back to me when runs it. Tomorrow after work I will take the CIA off and take a look in the TB ad see what it looks like I hope to only see oil!!

Black Sleeper

Established Member
Well I got the oasis report from ERIC RIDE THE(THANKS again!), and the IC recall was done. So tomm is suposed to be a nice warm day so I will take a look inside the intake. Now what should I look for? Should I take the TB off and take a look inside the plenum,not like Ille be abel to see much but i will try it. or could I just take off the CIA and just open the TB and take a peek, and see what I mite need to see? I marked a line on the side of the IC resavor tonight while it was hot, so tomm I will check it again after work. Now say If the IC is leaking, will it only leak under WOT runs or, just normal driveing?? I only noticed the smoke when I went WOT. not to say its not leaking all the time just a tiny bit.?? My other question if i some how blew out a head gasket what should I look for, Would my L smoke all the time? would that give me a nice white smoke show? I checked under the hood again tonight and, under the truck. I didnt see anything leaking. The truck still runs and drives fine. Oil, trans, and all coolent levels look good. I just called my friends and asked how much smoke I really left. They said It looked like I did a lil burnout almost, I left a nice cloud trail.. i guess. Im almost positive!!!! I didnt spin the tires enought to make that much smoke. Is it a bad idea to go WOT to try and reproduce the white smoke just to try and pinpoint that it is comeing out of the exhaust, probaly A bad Idea??...
Thanks for the help SVTP!
Brian

j0hn

Established Member
All I can really tell you about my experience is that it seems almost identical. I hardly ever did WOT blasts around the time I found out my problem, but the 1 time I did I saw the smoke. And my coolant level dropped a lot. I topped it off about once every 2 weeks or so, and it would sink below the reservoir.

Best of luck.

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
Same thing here and the swap has been done to mine....... I check my fluid levels CONSTANTLY and all of the colling fluids are at the correct level. Not sure what the hell is going on.

Tune maybe....Plug blow out (plugs gapped @ .037 with mods)...

Hope you find out what is going on.

Later

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
I hope it turns out to be something minor, but mine turned out to be a fried piston ring.
(this is a video...click it)
th_smokinexh-joshua.jpg

and here is what the end result was:
IMAGE_086.jpg

-Joshua

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread