Who changes their own ATF in the T56?

I don't have a lift. I was wondering how some of you guys change and refill your T56 without a lift. What procedure do you follow to drain and refill? I want to start doing it myself and I'm itching to try RP Synchromax. Thanks.

Last edited:

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Put it on level jack stands get a drain pan and a 3/8th ratchet and climb under the car. The drain plug is on the pass side rear of trans at the low point. Use the ratchet to remove it and let it drain. When it stops dripping put the plug back in and move to the driver side of the trans. The fill plug is higher up in the middle of the trans. Remove it with the same ratchet. You will need one of those hand pumps from any auto parts store and three hands. This is the messy fun part. Those pumps can be a pain in the @ss but get the job done. It will take about 4 qrts. Pump them in until it starts to come back out of the fill hole. Let it stop driping and replace the plug. Clean up the BIG mess and your good.

FIY, I have had better results with standard regular atf than any of the more expensive Synthetics or Synchromesh products. I just change mine at the start of every season with fresh new stuff. Cheap easy piece of mind.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Put it on level jack stands get a drain pan and a 3/8th ratchet and climb under the car. The drain plug is on the pass side rear of trans at the low point. Use the ratchet to remove it and let it drain. When it stops dripping put the plug back in and move to the driver side of the trans. The fill plug is higher up in the middle of the trans. Remove it with the same ratchet. You will need one of those hand pumps from any auto parts store and three hands. This is the messy fun part. Those pumps can be a pain in the @ss but get the job done. It will take about 4 qrts. Pump them in until it starts to come back out of the fill hole. Let it stop driping and replace the plug. Clean up the BIG mess and your good.

FIY, I have had better results with standard regular atf than any of the more expensive Synthetics or Synchromesh products. I just change mine at the start of every season with fresh new stuff. Cheap easy piece of mind.

Well said! To add a bit you can also fill through the shifter hole just don't make a mess in the car!

I too run cheap oil. Supertech ATF is cheaper and no dif is/was ever noted with a higher grade ATF.

gamebred26

Established Member
i fill mine from inside the car...remove the shifter mad easy. just put the front on stands so it drains no need to be level if you are not going to fill from fill hole. dump in 4 qts. pennsoil synchromesh.

i fill mine from inside the car...remove the shifter mad easy. just put the front on stands so it drains no need to be level if you are not going to fill from fill hole. dump in 4 qts. pennsoil synchromesh.

So you just do the front on stands and have no problem accessing the drain plug? I think I'm going to pull the shifter and fill it up through there.

gamebred26

Established Member
yea its easy..may need to use jack on pass side on subframe conn..to get more space...just slide pan under and have at it...

cbr repsol

Established Member
I drain and fill mine from under the car. I just jack up the drivers side and place jackstand for safty. I bought a pump from autozone with a hose,think it was five bucks to refill.

gamebred26

Established Member
i had it...didnt really do anything. plus it gets destroyed. they should of made it out of plastic or teflon.

Users who are viewing this thread