Who has a 4# lower

MD03SVT

Established Member
I would like to know what gains were made by adding a 4# lower to a stock blower/2.6 upper combo.HP/TQ and real world 1/4 mile times.
Thanks

davidhuff

Established Member
Dragpac has the INNOVATORS WEST BALANCER and he said the lower pulley was worth two tenths.PM Dragpac and he is a great guy to talk with.

OsirisGT

Established Member
I have been thinking of this too but I am worried of spinning the stock blower that fast. Is that something to worry about really?

littlejohn

Established Member
I will have one by Tuesday, and be installing it asap. I am going to the 19th International Mustang Meet in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on the Aug. 29-31 weekend. There are drags on Friday night, I'll post results. I will be running stock tires unfortunately, I have other things going on that have kept me from buying some DR's.

I will also be installing the monoblade TB, and a 91 oct. tune from Evolution. I have never run at a track yet, so it should be interesting. I currently have a LFP stage 2 C&L kit/93 oct. tune, and it runs pretty good. I have done some very rough hand-held stopwatch 1/4 mile runs, and have been in the low 12's at 122ish mph(198 kmh) with lots of wheelspin on pavement.

This winter I'll be porting the blower and doing full exhaust, hoping to get to 650 rwhp.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
on the Aug. 29-31 weekend. There are drags on Friday night, I'll post results. I will be running stock tires unfortunately, I have other things going on that have kept me from buying some DR's.

I would really try my best to borrow some.
Stock tires will make you look like an ass if you launch over 2k or if you floor it in 1st-2nd with your hp. Good luck and dont just stomp the gas.:thumbsup:

rdsnk46

Established Member
DR's are a way to take spin out of the equation with our cars. If not leave off idle and roll into it in first! GL!

Mustang_Racer

Established Member
I have 2.6 upper, steggy ported blower, 4# lower, steeda intake, JMS dynotune, Afco heat exchanger, ord racing mufflers. I made 576/567 in 94 degree heat. - shooting for 600rwhp in cooler weather.

MD03SVT

Established Member
I have 2.6 upper, steggy ported blower, 4# lower, steeda intake, JMS dynotune, Afco heat exchanger, ord racing mufflers. I made 576/567 in 94 degree heat. - shooting for 600rwhp in cooler weather.

Nice numbers any 1/4 mile times to compare ie: before & after.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
I would like to know what gains were made by adding a 4# lower to a stock blower/2.6 upper combo.HP/TQ and real world 1/4 mile times.
Thanks

I have talked to a few people who have the lower and the throttlebody..
Its good for 2 to 3 tenths at the track, with a good cool down..

Keep in mind however, that the blower heats up extremely quick on the street with the lower on. I have been told the combo can actually hurt you on the street, as the blower gets heat soaked right away, even with the Afco HE.

1sweetazzGT500

Established Member
I have talked to a few people who have the lower and the throttlebody..
Its good for 2 to 3 tenths at the track, with a good cool down..

Keep in mind however, that the blower heats up extremely quick on the street with the lower on. I have been told the combo can actually hurt you on the street, as the blower gets heat soaked right away, even with the Afco HE.

F**K that!! Sometimes More is NOT better. I had been thinking about the 4lb lower & TB but decided against it going with my Gut Feeling. JMHO.:beer:

5.0 guy

Established Member
I have the Metco 2.6 upper, 4lb lower,Jlt intake,Whipple TB, NGK plugs, and Metco idler set up and a Steeda coil over kit and the car came to life. I did noticed the heat soak after one or two runs down the road so I added the Afco HE and that fixed the problem as far as noticable power loss. I have a full Bassani exhaust with long tubes being installed on Friday but the car still pulled 567/577 to the wheels after being tuned on the dyno all day with the factory exhaust in place. The temp gauge never changed from stock to modified even without the Afco, I say go for it!

500DRAGPAC

Established Member
4lb lower

yes I have the lower pulley and the HE & allum. intercooler tank and all this helps but the car heats up very quick and pulls timing as a result the car slows down.If you run at the tracks and cool the car down between runs then by all means it makes power good for approx. 2-3 tenths but if you want to run the streets more then IMO don't go with it.One guy said he didn't see a change in the gauge and thats true but you don't see any change when you install a cooler thermostat either so I wouln't trust the gauge to much.If you make back to back runs you'll see just how much it looses ET.I hope this helps with your ?

MD03SVT

Established Member
yes I have the lower pulley and the HE & allum. intercooler tank and all this helps but the car heats up very quick and pulls timing as a result the car slows down.If you run at the tracks and cool the car down between runs then by all means it makes power good for approx. 2-3 tenths but if you want to run the streets more then IMO don't go with it.One guy said he didn't see a change in the gauge and thats true but you don't see any change when you install a cooler thermostat either so I wouln't trust the gauge to much.If you make back to back runs you'll see just how much it looses ET.I hope this helps with your ?

That is exactly the info I was looking for Dragpac,the 1/4 mile gain would be worth it but daily driving would suffer as it did on the 03/04 Cobra's without porting the blower which I will not do.

Thanks
Ted

R1Lello

Established Member
Doing the 4lb lower is the same effect as doing the 2.6 upper.......approx + 3-4 psi so what's the difference when you're talking heat issues?? Me, I'm doing the lower over the decision of doing the upper 2.6 to avoid another tensioner and adding more load on the crank, but the main reason is to get rid of the heavy a$$ 07 lower. I'm going TVS anyways so doubt I'll have serious heat issues at 14 psi.

MD03SVT

Established Member
2.6U & 4#L spins the blower much faster than just an upper or just a lower that is where the heat is created and without porting the blower (which makes it more efficient) heatsoaking happens very quickly which in turn kills performance.Just replace your lower with the up-dated ford one from the 08's ( saves 13#)

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
2.6U & 4#L spins the blower much faster than just an upper or just a lower that is where the heat is created and without porting the blower (which makes it more efficient) heatsoaking happens very quickly which in turn kills performance.Just replace your lower with the up-dated ford one from the 08's ( saves 13#)

True, but I'm just doing the lower, leaving the upper stock on my upcoming TVS.........not doing both

Users who are viewing this thread