Who has a stock 93 cobra?

John and Renae

Established Member
I almost kept my original one off my Mach...

Decided not to...I just drive and modify my cars too much to ever bring them back to stock later...I could with the Mach, but the coupe is long past the point I could bring it back...

jspalmer01

Established Member
John and Renae said:
I almost kept my original one off my Mach...

Decided not to...I just drive and modify my cars too much to ever bring them back to stock later...I could with the Mach, but the coupe is long past the point I could bring it back...

Hi John good to hear from you. Here is a pic of my original 2003 Mach 1 oil filter for your viewing pleasure....hah :beer:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/444631840/2077140170052878832RAHKPI

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
Here you go guys....the original 1993 Cobra oil filter with tag dated 4/20/93, two days before my build date.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/437591398/2954071570052878832TbXezq
http://community.webshots.com/photo/437591398/2319534020052878832Kdetih

COOL, Very Cool!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^A "one time only part" for your car. Yes, other filters had this info. at this exact time in 1993, but I would venture to say all, or maybe 99.999% have been thrown in a trash can long ago.

Another more obvious item that I have found to be "assembly line different" in most cases is the serpentine belt. The original assembly line part usually has the long Ford part number, in this case F3ZZ8620A, the date, and MOTORCRAFT inkstamped on its backside along with some lot information. The replacement belt from the Ford parts dept. has the MOTORCRAFT, a date (which would now, after the fact be incorrect for the vehicle build), and a short part number JK6-894. The long F3ZZ part number is not on the replacement belt. As the car is used, the backside idler wears the belt and the original info. discolors and slowly disappears. This is also a "one time item" that most people don't think about. I am not sure, but I think that the replacement JK6-894 is obsolete through Ford now. The original assembly line belt on the 94/95 also had "COBRA" in large letters inkstamped on its backside. I am not sure about the 93 belt, did they? This is another a unique feature not found on the replacement belt. The "COBRA" lettering was a signal to the assembly line worker(s).

R

Last edited:

jspalmer01

Established Member
Robert M said:
COOL, Very Cool!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^A "one time only part" for your car. Yes, other filters had this info. at this exact time in 1993, but I would venture to say all, or maybe 99.999% have been thrown in a trash can long ago.
I am not sure, but I think that the replacement JK6-894 is obsolete through Ford now. The original assembly line belt on the 94/95 also had "COBRA" in large letters inkstamped on its backside. I am not sure about the 93 belt, did they? This is another a unique feature not found on the replacement belt. The "COBRA" lettering was a signal to the assembly line worker(s).

R

Thanks Robert. Maybe I am only one of very, very, very few who even have on of these. Wonder what Bob Perkins would pay for one of these for one of his concours "late model" restorations in the future? hah

JK6-894 is indeed obsolete. I have 2 of them but not sure the F3# is still visible. The 94/95 did have "COBRA" inkstamped on the backside....the '93 did not.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
Thanks Robert. Maybe I am only one of very, very, very few who even have on of these. Wonder what Bob Perkins would pay for one of these for one of his concours "late model" restorations in the future? hah

JK6-894 is indeed obsolete. I have 2 of them but not sure the F3# is still visible. The 94/95 did have "COBRA" inkstamped on the backside....the '93 did not.

The F3# should not be on the JK6 replacement, only the original belt, and the original F3# belt will have no reference to the JK6 number replacement. Let me know if you find this to be true. Gates made the serp. belt for the 95R. There is a Gates reference number in some of the 95 Cobra R Dearborn documents that I have on those cars. The original belt has an F5Z number with no Ford listing for a replacement. Is that belt worth gold or what?, not now, but later. The Gates part number belt is available through a Gates dealer, but it of course has no Ford numbers on it.

Bob Perkins would definitly pay less for the filter than the owner of the car in which he is restoring, I guess that could be called a finders fee?!?!

R

jspalmer01

Established Member
Robert M said:
The F3# should not be on the JK6 replacement, only the original belt, and the original F3# belt will have no reference to the JK6 number replacement. Let me know if you find this to be true. Gates made the serp. belt for the 95R. There is a Gates reference number in some of the 95 Cobra R Dearborn documents that I have on those cars. The original belt has an F5Z number with no Ford listing for a replacement. Is that belt worth gold or what?, not now, but later. The Gates part number belt is available through a Gates dealer, but it of course has no Ford numbers on it.

Bob Perkins would definitly pay less for the filter than the owner of the car in which he is restoring, I guess that could be called a finders fee?!?!

R

SVT God....I 'll look tonight and let you know... :beer:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
SVT God....I 'll look tonight and let you know... :beer:

No "God status" here, SVT or other! I have tried to figure out how to change or remove the "God" title from my avatar, but have not figured it out. I guess it appears when you reach a certain amount of posts, definitly no God status here!! SVT Peon would be a better discription for me.

I found it and it has been edited^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!

As for the belt, yes, let me know.

Thanks, Robert

Last edited:

jspalmer01

Established Member

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
Robert,

Here is a pic of the 2 belts I have. The top one I THINK was the original belt on the car and the bottom is one I bought in 1994. The top one is dated 6/93 so I might have had it replaced at the dealership for some reason...just don't remember.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/437591398/2094163350052878832TjvzSJ

Here is a pic of the box for the replacement belt I bought at the dealer in 1994.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/437591398/2705197130052878832zEjeyg

I would think that the belt pictured is a replacement if the date is later than your car. Did you buy your car before 6/93? Also, 6/93 is the date of production for the belt, most likely it would have been installed later than 6/93. That is the sleeve for a replacement. It lists the original part number and the replacement part number.

Does anyone have a "known to be original/correct dated" belt from their 93 Cobra? It would be intersesting to see what info. is on it. Maybe it is just a Cobra R difference in belt i.d. original vs. replacement. The R's had no a/c and belts were possibly a special run for their specific application?

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
I bet they were due to the belt being a shorter one.

That is most likely it. I have not paid much attention to what took the place of the a/c comp. It was probably a much smaller dia. idler. I bought one of those replacement JK6 belts for the 93 Cobra to see exactly what the length difference is. I have not had a chance to remove the R belt and compare the two.

R

jspalmer01

Established Member
Robert M said:
I would think that the belt pictured is a replacement if the date is later than your car. Did you buy your car before 6/93? Also, 6/93 is the date of production for the belt, most likely it would have been installed later than 6/93.

R

Robert...My build date is 4/22/93 so you are correct....the belt must have been replaced after delivery. I probably complained about a sweaky (sp) belt and they replaced it...just don't remember. Wish I would have looked at my buddys 13K mile cobra before he sold it recently as I know it was the original belt...oh well.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
I can confirm the original belt did have the F3 number on it, my friend has a 12k mile 93 Cobra and I was comparing how new looking his a/c compressor was to mine at a recent show when i noticed the belts were different, pretty sure there's no jk6 on his. If any of the pics i took show the number, i will post them up.

Geez, No original battery, oil filter, and belt on my 37k car, guess i might as well start throwing a roll cage in. :uh oh:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
UWISSSH said:
I can confirm the original belt did have the F3 number on it, my friend has a 12k mile 93 Cobra and I was comparing how new looking his a/c compressor was to mine at a recent show when i noticed the belts were different, pretty sure there's no jk6 on his. If any of the pics i took show the number, i will post them up.

Geez, No original battery, oil filter, and belt on my 37k car, guess i might as well start throwing a roll cage in. :uh oh:

Toss that interior in the dumpster too, who needs that??

R

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Robert M said:
Toss that interior in the dumpster too, who needs that??

R

Yeah, might as well scrape the sound deadner too, right? Actually I just took out the original floormats 'cause the old owner really took care of them and are still like new. I'm rolling on old shower towels now :) Looks like some ebay cobra snake floormats are in my future for weekend driving!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
UWISSSH said:
Yeah, might as well scrape the sound deadner too, right? Actually I just took out the original floormats 'cause the old owner really took care of them and are still like new. I'm rolling on old shower towels now :) Looks like some ebay cobra snake floormats are in my future for weekend driving!

If they are black mats, it is not such a big deal, if they are the Opal Gray mats, huge deal. I have watched the Opal Gray mats go crazy on eBay in many different auctions.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
bat-stang said:
...what's a 'stock' cobra...?

The definition of stock in the collector car world as far as I have heard since I started to have interest in cars about 35 years ago is "as it came from its builder, in this case, "as it came from Ford". Any other "ad-ons" or subtractions put the vehicle in the "modded" catagory. Some cars have minor mods, some have major mods, either way it is modified from the original build. Exact replacement parts are different. Car parts do not last forever and to keep the car functioning, parts have to be replaced, however, the different between replacement parts that serve the same function as original with little to no visible difference, and replacement parts that are added per an owners personal likes and desires, and are not the original part in appearance and function, are modifications, "mods".

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread