Who has aftermarket seats? Trying to decide....

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
One of the things I've never really liked about either one of the Mustangs I've owned is the seats.

My first Mustang was an '83 T-Top GT with the ugly red interior and awful 80's seats. Everything else about that car was awesome and I wish I kept it. Anyway, it didn't take me long to realize just how many parts are interchangeable between any Fox chassis car between 79 and 04. First on the update list was to try and find a nice set of newer seats.

As much as I hated the maroon interior, I originally tried looking for an SN-95 with the same color interior so the donor seats would look like they could have been original to the '83 with a more modern look. No dice. The maroon interior & seats are basically non-existent in anything newer than 1993 (because Ford realized how fugly it was).

So, I went out to the local pick N pull and found a nice set of charcoal cloth seats out of a V6. They bolted straight in with no fuss, and the updated SN-95 seat design made the red 80's interior look a million times better. It was such a novelty to have a power seat in a car that came with manual-everything.

To this day, those V6 seats were the most comfortable I've ever had in a vehicle. Go figure.

I have another odd-ball situation with my 99 Cobra. Some of you might have the same Parchment interior which limits our options as far as interior upgrades go. I was bummed out when the 01 Cobra came with nicer seats with suede inserts and the Cobra logo and I've always wanted to replace mine. Unfortunately, parchment was pretty rare in 01 and basically non-existent in 03 and 04.

As luck would have it, I just found a set of 03 Cobra parchment seats (complete with the rear seat cover.
$T2eC16NHJGwE9n)ySf0JBRGw6Hm!1Q~~60_57.JPG

2003 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra Black with Parchment Seats Coupe Very Nice 44K | eBay

Guess how much? $1049 !?!?!?!?!
Fuuuuuu that! You can get a set of premium carbon fiber adjustable racing seats for that much.

With that being said, I think I'm gonna go the aftermarket route, give my interior an updated classy and racy look, while saving 50 lbs in the process.

I really like the Cobra Misano seats. Especially this gem:
$(KGrHqRHJEEE-nRq)I6TBPuSOg1-L!~~60_58.JPG

Aaaah, what I wouldn't give for a black interior. Unfortunately, the closest color they make to "parchment" is a goofy yellowish light mustard color.

The nicest seat I could find that actually matches is the Sparco Milano. Here's a picture of a pair mounted in a right hand drive 350Z. I've seen em in Mustangs before, but I couldnt find any pics when I was writing this:
34428d1144981289-aftermarket-seats-mainph_03.jpg

On the other end of the price spectrum, I found a pair of Cipher tan fake leather racing seats on eBay for $350 without the brackets. These look pretty good and don't cost an arm and a leg..

CPA1001PBG_2.jpg

2X 96 02 Ford Mustang Beige PU Synthetic Leather Racing Seats | eBay

If you have aftermarket seats, post up some pics and share your thoughts!

Thanks!

Homer

vita

Established Member
The only issue I could see with using a brand like Cipher is the ability to hold up during a crash. They wont obviously last as long wear and tear, but you get what you pay for.

Again, as long as they do their job in a crash though, and you dont want to go bankrupt, it might be a decent option for ya.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
LOL at you saying fuuuu that to the 1000 dollar cobra seats and then you're looking at Ebay seats. You get what you pay for, ecspecially when it comes to seats. Recaros don't cost more just because, it's because they are levels above other seats. With the tan interior you're best bet to get quality at a good price is going to be 03/04 parchment seats. I'd recomend Corbeau any other time however they dont have any seats in the color you're looking for. Just because those Ebay seats look like a "good" deal they're very cheaply made and you'll hate that you wasted even a few hundred dollars on them.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I had a set of Corbreau Targa RS seats in my notch. They held up decently well (until my buddy hacked the bolster open with the clip of his pocket knife), but they faded TERRIBLY.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
LOL at you saying fuuuu that to the 1000 dollar cobra seats and then you're looking at Ebay seats. You get what you pay for, ecspecially when it comes to seats. Recaros don't cost more just because, it's because they are levels above other seats. With the tan interior you're best bet to get quality at a good price is going to be 03/04 parchment seats. I'd recomend Corbeau any other time however they dont have any seats in the color you're looking for. Just because those Ebay seats look like a "good" deal they're very cheaply made and you'll hate that you wasted even a few hundred dollars on them.

QFT, those parchment seats from mpsautosalvage I believe shipping was 175-200 when I asked for a quote. They will be gone soon. I haven't heard one terminator owner complain about the look and ESPECIALLY the comfort of the 03-04 seats. It's an OEM part, plug and play and the covers are about 600-700 themselves. So you are looking at an extra 300-350 for rails padding headrest everything if you wanna talk buying new vs used. Can't beat an oem part. Those eBay seats like said above you get what you pay for. Also it's nice to have a seat with power and lumbar support, unless you always want to have a straight aggressive backrest seat. I just bought a set of cobra rears seats for 250, I'm looking for fronts. On eBay a set sold mint like 5k miles for 400 for the rears. Deals are out there but you can't say those seats are expensive, having the correct color to match and the oem snake sewn on there, seems like a good idea. Cleaner look too. Recaro is a nice option as well, but it's all within your budget. Can't really enjoy a ride out to dinner/ a date with a girl with a cheapo L shape eBay seat, not sure what you use your car for, just my 2 cents

01slo vert

Established Member
I just sold my front and rear 01 Cobra seats for $550, front and rear. I acutally got $350 plus the mounting brackets for my current Corbeau LG's. There VERY comfortable but my biggest complaint at the moment is the track doesn't slide far enough back and i have about two to three inches of head room and I'm about 5'8. I'll post pictures if you want.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member

I don't mind paying the money, but I was just surprised that stock 03 Cobra seats are still more expensive than many of the high end aftermarket seats out there. I was just trying to explore as many options as possible throughout various price ranges.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I don't mind paying the money, but I was just surprised that stock 03 Cobra seats are still more expensive than many of the high end aftermarket seats out there. I was just trying to explore as many options as possible throughout various price ranges.

I don't see that at all. That Cobra Misano you posted is $1600 PER SEAT. That's compared to $1050 for all terminator seats.

Rotzs99

Established Member
+1, New Corbeaus go for about $500 a piece + brackets and Recaros are about 7-800 + Brackets.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member

High end aftermarket like eBay, or some china ones from jegs, 500 a seat isn't, bad those come with rears too FYI. Buy em sell the rears and maybe spend 600-700 total

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I'm right there with you on the fact that I think the stock 03/04 seats are pricey. But at the same time like Mike pointed out, they are a factory part, so the beauty of that is it all fits and functions like OE because it is. The seating options are endless, I've been looking as well. I sold the stock GT seats out of my car for a premium (650) and I told myself that if I could sell them for that I would go aftermarket. I know I've personally decided on the Corbeau GTS II's, its an aggresively bolstered seat but doesn't have the harness slots. That's what I really like about them is that they will feel like a nice aftermarket seat, but will still retain some of the stock appearance.

The Sparco R505's or Chrono are good looking seats as well that I read lots of positive stuff about. Anything Recaro makes is amazing as well as Cobra. It just all depends on how much you're willing to shell out, and with the tan interior you're options are pretty limited unfortunately. I definitely think you're best bet as far as cost effectiveness would be running the parchment cobra seats. 1050 is a steal for a set of those, not to mention that's a bit of a rare seat in itself.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I just sold my front and rear 01 Cobra seats for $550, front and rear. I acutally got $350 plus the mounting brackets for my current Corbeau LG's. There VERY comfortable but my biggest complaint at the moment is the track doesn't slide far enough back and i have about two to three inches of head room and I'm about 5'8. I'll post pictures if you want.

Hmm, I'm 6'4" and I sit lower in my LGs than I did in my stock seats. Mine are the wide ones, and you really have to push to get them all the way back. They are a tight fit against the center console.

Users who are viewing this thread