Who has been successful with the lemon law on their 03 Cobra?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by cobrapete03'
I was under the impression that those numbers wouldn't be released until 60-90 days after the production year ends? Thanks
Correct. Also, SVT has historically separated the coupes and convertibles (i.e. there will be two #2573s, one coupe and one vert).

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by raiders03
2003 Cobra

I got my 03 Cobra from the lemon law. I purchased a 01 Cobra from Walnut Creek Ford in Cali. I had nothing but problems. Cylinder head gasket leaking. Pinging in the fixed cylinder head so they had to put a new motor in it. They wanted to get me a new 01 but they were not making them any more. So they let me drive it till the 03 came out and they gave me one on a straight trade. I paid 28,500 for my 03. They gave me no mark up from what I paid for the 01. They were really cool about the situation. They even took the reciepts I had for my x-pipe,4.10 gears, MIL eliminators, and labor and sent me a seperate check for the cost of the aftermarket parts. They actually wanted to give me a refund at first but I insisted that I wanted the 03 when it came out. I offered to pay the difference in the cost in the MSRP. They never made me pay it though.

DAMN! That's HELLA cool, I wish I woudl have bought from them, say sound like a sweet dealer.

black03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
Correct. Also, SVT has historically separated the coupes and convertibles (i.e. there will be two #2573s, one coupe and one vert).

Sorry, I was under the impression that those last digits on my VIN were build numbers :shrug:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by black03SVT
Sorry, I was under the impression that those last digits on my VIN were build numbers :shrug:
No need to apologize, it's a common misconception. :beer:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by bborder
Socalblack03- Sorry if this is off topic but I'm curious if Galpin has made any stink about your long tubes. Also, will they pass smog? What are your plans?

Galpin is aware of all my mods and hasn't given me any beef about them. Both AV Ford and Galpin actually agree that my TB is what cured my stall. As far as smog goes I'm using the expemtion for now. I'm in the miliatry and a Florida resident (Jacksonville native) this entitles me to register the car in FL when I want to, no smog. Plus I should only be in Cali for another year.

Fred G

Established Member
Hey jumpincactus,
In case no one else mentions it, thanks for the informative post.
BTW, one of the guys here on the east coast had his 03 replaced with another because of the tick.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
No Problem dude I for one am happy as hell with my 03 best ride I've had since High School with my 67 Chevelle SS. Damn do I miss that thing. Im just a believer in sharing knowledge if someone needs it. I hope that most folks are happy with their 03 these cars are sweet.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I got ford to replace my 01 Lightning. I came out on top, but it was not fun doing it. Drove the truck for 1 year and 20k and they handed me an 02. Applied all my payments from my 01 to my 02. And it was for the stupidiest reason. My truck pulled to the left and they could not fix it. But, Ford took care of me.. Had my very surprised

Chris C

Established Member
Shoot im happy with my car... but if i could get ford to stick me in a newer 03 or 05 cobra i'd take it :beer:

01blkcovert

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
Problems have risen and tempers are flaring over issues which Ford is slow at tackling. High speed vibrations, stiffer than hell clutches, clutch chatter, pulling to the right and a host of other conditions that seem to occur over and over again. I lemoned an older GT Mustang and Ford fought me tooth and nail before they gave me back my money. Talking to and corresponding with the Ford dealership and the regional rep. was useless. I had to get a lemon law attorney and the attorney had to file a formal lawsuit against Ford. Ford setteled a few days before trial was scheduled. If you are fighting Ford with your 03 Cobra utilizing the lemon law, please post your story. Thanks.

I had success with my 01 but no problem yet with my 03.

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
I made Ford buy back my 01 Saleen. Never had to go to court though. Ask your dealer about the Dispute Settlement Board (DSB). They are a neutral arbitrator for Ford. They'll hear your case and whatever they decide Ford is bound by. The customer, however is not bound by their decision (you could still sue them if you didn't like the outcome). Your dealership has applications for the DSB. If they claim they don't let me know and I'll go dig out the 800# for them (it's at home).

They gave me the choice between a refund (buy back) and a replacement vehicle of similar MSRP. The MSRP on my Saleen was almost identical to the 03 Cobra (which is why I joined this forum -- research). I would have walked away with an 03 for well under sticker price.

As a side note, the board may charge your for "reasonable use" of your lemon. They charged me for 13k miles (it had 26k on it). If you sue under lemon law, the mileage count stops with the first problem (whatever mileage was on the work ticket).

Good luck and don't give up.

Kev

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
No need to apologize, it's a common misconception. :beer:

In regards to the last 4 of the VIN being Build Numbers...

Technically, they ARE build numbers - sequential with Everything else that comes off the production line (GTs, Mach1s, V6s). They are Not your SVT production numbers though :nono:

"a common misconception" :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread