who has had a pulley ruin their motors?

adamb258

Established Member
wheter its b/cof install or a/f doesnt matter just wanna hear your situations.

I have searched but not found what i was looking for. The pullied cars seem to be reliable but i wanted to heard the negative side of things.

YGETV8

Established Member
Kinda related: I heard something that may or may not be true the other day: unless the install on the aftermarket lower pulleys goes just right, it can somehow cause crank/bearing damage!? Not sure if they meant from harmonics or load problems? Anybody hear this before?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
pullied dont hurt the motor...HEAT does. when u swap to a smaller pulley you generate more heat. you kill that by installing a biger heat exchanger. also, the "cooling mod" helps the heat.

if your a/f is off, sure is going to hurt the motor...that should always be checked onalmost a mod to mod basis though...i mean cmon..you own a $35k Cobra!

redolive

04 black SVT
Established Member
no guts no glory, the evo runs at 21.5psi stock now and they actually warranty that thing. 8.5 is on the safe side.

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
redolive said:
no guts no glory, the evo runs at 21.5psi stock now and they actually warranty that thing. 8.5 is on the safe side.

21.5psi stock? Where did you read or hear that from?

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
redolive said:

I highly doubt that.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I highly doubt that.

motor trend quote...

An HKS external wastegate keeps max boost at 17.4 psi as air travels through a custom stainless-steel tubular manifold, special pipework, and a huge HKS R-type front-mount aluminum intercooler

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
for the record the 03-05 evo runs ~19.5psi stock then the ECU drops the boost to ~16.5psi after around 4500 rpms.

Last edited:

redolive

04 black SVT
Established Member
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX not the current Evo 8, sorry for the poor clarification. Regardless of actual psi whether it is 17 or 19psi etc I was pointing out that it is more than double the cobras 8.5psi.

My point was just that major manufacturers are now willing to warranty 17 - 19 psi which is interesting to me. No I am not talking up the Evo, my pullied snake spanks my next door niegbors 04 Evo :)

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
pulleys don't hurt motors.... bad tunes do that.... make sure you have a good tune!

redolive

04 black SVT
Established Member
RWTD did exactly that for me. 2.93 pulley tune 91 octane, James is awesome the only drawback is he is in such high demand now that it will take you 7-12 days to get a tune out of him. He is very good though, worth the wait.

adamb258

Established Member
Snake40 said:
My pulley ruined my gas milage and the carpet under the gas pedal :shrug:

well i thin i will save up for a 2.93 and let rwtd tune me up. What is the better comapny SFPH or Billetflow. im sure both are good but i dont want any sherded belts

redolive

04 black SVT
Established Member
Once you have the pulley on you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Mine has been on for a week now and it is just awesome, best/easiest mod you can do. I plan to have a blast for now then trade it in on a 2006 Shelby Cobra next year.

Users who are viewing this thread