Who here has done Carbon Fiber parts before?

GodStang

Established Member
So I am in need of a simple part that no one makes. Its a pretty simple part but wanting to do it in carbon fiber. We have done fiberglass parts before but want to try it in carbon fiber this time. Those who have done it before how close is laying carbon fiber to laying fiberglass? Where is the best place to buy the Carbon fiber fabric and resins? Any recommendations on stuff to make molds to lay the CF on? I have watched many many Youtube videos and was just trying to find out all the tips I can get.

ZEN357

Established Member
Never messed with Carbon Fiber. Don't really like the look of it and honestly don;t know too much about carbon fiber parts.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Never messed with Carbon Fiber. Don't really like the look of it and honestly don;t know too much about carbon fiber parts.

This is legitimately the most liberal answer.. ever.

Guy asks a question. Person has to answer and say.. they don’t like it and know nothing

Legit.. what is going on in our country right now. People that have no idea, but having to let everyone know

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a buddy that can do it as long as he has an original part to mold it against.

I have 0 interest in dabbling in making stuff, but this guy does a stellar job and he's reasonable.

GodStang

Established Member
I have a buddy that can do it as long as he has an original part to mold it against.

I have 0 interest in dabbling in making stuff, but this guy does a stellar job and he's reasonable.

This will be basically a box so it's not like it is something steller hard. I had planned to do it in sheet metal so I started outlining in cardboard as a rough template but now want to do it in carbon fiber so I have to figure out how to make a box that I can lay fiber on to make a box.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Gotcha! Then no, I have 0 hints or information haha

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
This will be basically a box so it's not like it is something steller hard. I had planned to do it in sheet metal so I started outlining in cardboard as a rough template but now want to do it in carbon fiber so I have to figure out how to make a box that I can lay fiber on to make a box.
You will more than likely end up building the box several times in order to create a mold.

The hardest part about carbon fiber is in laying the cloth out, and then adding an even coat of resin. In order to remove air pockets and bubbles, and to keep the fiber cloth from wrinkling or deforming, a vacuum process is used.

You can get away with mistakes using fiberglass. Gel coat, primer, and eventually paint will cover the part. Carbon fiber is normally cleared and the fiber weave is left exposed. Every mistake is seen.

I have built a few small things out of carbon fiber. It is a tedious process that gives a beautiful reward in finished product.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread