Who is Running AED Tune with TracKey?

Boss949

Established Member
I've talked to Shaun at AED and I'm getting ready to go for his Tune. I'm very impressed with him and his customer service, etc.

Anyone with TracKey running his tunes? If so, which tunes and how do you like performance?

I know I can get the Airaid CAI with the insert, so I can run TracKey; then remove insert and install AED Tune on the silver.

Let me know your results and if it's worth the hassle of the insert and running TracKey.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ccg07

Established Member
I'm not sure what would happen if you used the red key after installing the AED tune. The new tune overwrites data in the ECU and probably disables the Trackey programming. After I got my new tune I put my red key in a drawer so I don't accidentally use it.

Boss949

Established Member
I do know that I have to leave the MVT "insert" in the CAI to use the TracKey. Airaid is one of the brands that have the insert that does not require a tune, therefore won't affect the Red Key when it's used. To use AED, the MVT must be removed.

Last edited:

svt1111

Established Member
Honestly if your going to stick with Track Key then don't bother with a CAI. The main advantage to a good CAI is the larger sized MAF housing, which the insert negates so your basically running stock mass air flow readings, and the stock box is probably better at delivering cooler air to the intake than almost all the "CAI" out there anyway.

Once you increase the MAF housing, obviously you'll need a tune. You can insert the Red Key into the ignition and still drive the car with the AED tune, it will not matter if you use either key, Shaun's tune will be the one the ECU uses, once it's loaded.

As far as which is better? For all out performance, AED tune all the way. I'd say if you road course the car, I prefer TK though, howeve I haven't ever tried Shaun's road course tune he sent me yet, but he did say himself that he can't duplicate the same degree of engine braking as the TK yet, and that is a big attritibte on track for the TK tune.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The Airaid with the sleeve works fine with TK but once you install the AED tune I doubt you'll want to go back to TK. Is Shaun now able to keep both tunes on the car at the same time? I didn't think that was possible.

BTW the fit and finish on the Airaid CF intake is incredible. It fits like OEM.

Here's a comparison of the two tunes.

New tunes from AED my thoughts

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
The Airaid with the sleeve works fine with TK but once you install the AED tune I doubt you'll want to go back to TK. Is Shaun now able to keep both tunes on the car at the same time? I didn't think that was possible.

BTW the fit and finish on the Airaid CF intake is incredible. It fits like OEM.

Here's a comparison of the two tunes.

New tunes from AED my thoughts

As always, thanks for input.

I believe that was my discussion with Shaun about using his tune with the TracKey. Using Silver Key doesn't affect the Red; except for CAI without insert.

You are probably correct about wanting to drive Silver Key with AED Tune all the time.

65sohc

Established Member
I don't think it's possible to have an aftermarket tune on the silver key and still retain the TK tune on the red key.

WhiteKnite

Established Member
Honestly if your going to stick with Track Key then don't bother with a CAI. The main advantage to a good CAI is the larger sized MAF housing, which the insert negates so your basically running stock mass air flow readings, and the stock box is probably better at delivering cooler air to the intake than almost all the "CAI" out there anyway.

Once you increase the MAF housing, obviously you'll need a tune. You can insert the Red Key into the ignition and still drive the car with the AED tune, it will not matter if you use either key, Shaun's tune will be the one the ECU uses, once it's loaded.

As far as which is better? For all out performance, AED tune all the way. I'd say if you road course the car, I prefer TK though, howeve I haven't ever tried Shaun's road course tune he sent me yet, but he did say himself that he can't duplicate the same degree of engine braking as the TK yet, and that is a big attritibte on track for the TK tune.

Excellent info! I was wondering about this.

Seems like a lot of people still buy Boss 302's for the drag strip. Not this guy. Road course only!

:dancenana:

Boss949

Established Member
Excellent info! I was wondering about this.

Seems like a lot of people still buy Boss 302's for the drag strip. Not this guy. Road course only!

:dancenana:

It seems like there are quite a few Boss owners who really like to Drag race. My interest is only casually, just to see what the car will do; mainly due 1/8 strips; it's a lot of fun. I have a Son-in-Law who is a serious Drag Racer and has the fastest CTS V in the Standing Mile; He and others encourage me to race the Boss.

There are many serious Road Racers here and the Boss seems to be one of the best production cars in the world for that application, especially for under 60K.

I have only Road Raced one time in my life and have never been interested,etc. However, I'm one of those guys who bought The Boss because of the history (I was 16 in 1966 and into muscle cars of all kinds). I also bought the Boss because of the limited production and I knew that this opportunity doesn't come along every day. I knew I wanted this car and I wanted a car that not would not be seen on every corner.

Once I drove it (after purchase), I was completely hooked.

I've signed up for the Boss Track Attack and being a novice to Road Racing, I'm looking forward to learning how to really drive this car and to experience what this car is really designed to do.

I appreciate reading the posts from the experience Road Racers, etc. Learning about suspension, handling, techniques, etc.

So, just put a check by my name for one of those "Old" Teenagers, who want to go faster and louder!!!

I've got my helmet; I've got my reservations for Utah.

Users who are viewing this thread