Who LOVES getting HEAD......s

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
I sure as hell do.......when I can afford it....which might be soon so you guys that have after market heads from JDM, Patriot, LFP, JLP, or one of the many others; tell me your opinion who has avaliable the best QUALITY heads...price not considered....just hands down tell me who, why and what valve train components work the best/have the most performance(assuming stage III+ custom grinds...but not always the case)

ANY info...good or bad or just an opinion (although first hand accounts would be good) is greatly appreciated

I guess you could say im looking into getting head(s) for christmas...haha just had to do one last head joke...there so fun:kaboom:

Last edited:

Derek2001

Established Member
I have Total Engine Airflow heads, and I'm more than pleased with them so far. I haven't turned up the wick, but looking at my flow numbers I'm very impressed. I have my flow numbers at home, so i dont have the ability to tell ya right now. Anyhow, I have stage two, and thats with the port, angle job, one size up SS valves. When i got my flow sheet, I compared them to all the available Stg 2 heads, and they outflowed all of them. They also beat out some stg 3's, including patriots. They are a little more expensive though. I think I paid 1700 for port work to heads I already had. Patriot is definetely cheaper, as you can get them for like 1500 and dont even need a core. Good luck on your choice. Here in the next month or so I should have some dyno numbers on like 15 lbs of KB boost and 20lbs of KB. We'll see how it turns out.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
There is only so much that can be done with our 2V heads portwise and with forced induction it's not as critical to get every last CFM possible to reap the benefits. Differences in what flow bench is used can also make flow numbers misleading. Fox Lake (VT Engines), TEA (Total Engine Airflow), JLP, JDM, Patriot and so on are all good choices and will only have relatively subtle differences. Do your homework and make phonecalls to figure out what you want and what will work best for your combo. Above all else make damn sure you get quality valve springs with whatever heads you buy and if possible have them checked to ensure proper setup with the cams you choose.

Lastly ask what year heads you'll be getting and if needbe have inserts installed (the fully threaded kind) to lessen headaches later.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
There has been a lot of talk about people having issues with Patriot Performance heads. I have a set of the Stage II LFP/Patriot heads and have yet to experience any issues with them. I'm not sure why these people are having issues with their heads, but my L never smokes and never burns oil. All and all I'm satisfied with my Patriot heads. Also, they came with the 8-thread plug inserts.

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
guys, thanks for all the info so far, it has put me in the mood to spend money. . . hehe

What is the need for custom cams beside sound, nirtous, ect? Are there some compression ratios that better suit a custom set?

BriteRed20s

Established Member
Whatever heads you buy, insist on Timesert inserts or 8-9 thread 03 or newer castings. Of course, this is not critical if you do proper plug maintenance but if you are going to the trouble of changing heads, I would be sure to have 8-9threads, in the casting or by inserts.

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
I bought my heads and cams from LFP (patriot) and have put over 10k miles on them, numerous passes and lots of dyno runs and have had NO problems.. Just like what SWThomas says..
my numbers are in my sig..(with whipple)

BOLT330

Established Member
SWThomas said:
There has been a lot of talk about people having issues with Patriot Performance heads. I have a set of the Stage II LFP/Patriot heads and have yet to experience any issues with them. I'm not sure why these people are having issues with their heads, but my L never smokes and never burns oil. All and all I'm satisfied with my Patriot heads. Also, they came with the 8-thread plug inserts.

Same goes for me. I have no complaints or issues with my LFP heads and cams.

FordFanStan

Established Member
I have had several issues with Patriot heads and valve springs. I will not use them again, no buts, ifs, or ands about it...

First problem with them; their #5 intake valve spring broke and destroyed my first built engine, which totalled in near $8k, they reimbursed $700. I was happy at the time because I did not know what the complete outcome was, they said they would take care of almost all the engine costs. Now that its said and done with, they bent me over the hood of a '37 Studebaker...

Since then they assured me great service and products and I have had neither; more than once... Stan

Users who are viewing this thread